Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: casio sa-8 question  (Read 6975 times)

zenith ram

• don't waste your time on redheads
casio sa-8 question
« on: May 13, 2009, 05:06:44 AM »

i've searched the site and havnt seen an answer to this so here goes,

i'm bending an sa-8 and have found a good bend for an led to 'dance' and light with its output. now ive tried to set in series 2 other led's and can't seem to get them all to light at the same time. reversed the poles on the led to the testers and still no luck. am i missing something here? they are of different colors if that makes a difference.

i also have another one, i've heard of several synths that can have a stereo out (not true stereo i think). is this possible with the sa-8? (i havnt found an answer in the long sa post)
actually i havnt been able to find the line out at all, and being new to line outs, i think i'm misunderstanding the solder points on the 1/8" jack i'm using to the solder point of the sa...please help?  :o

bloody hell sucks being new to this!

Gleix

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
Re: casio sa-8 question
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 06:34:29 AM »

When I do SA keyboards I wire up LEDs to pins 1 and 14 of the smaller IC.  I wire the LEDs both to the same points, so both legs of both LEDs are connected to both pins of the IC (rather than 1 leg of each LED to the IC and one to the other LED.  That way they won't get enough power to light them up).

If you're using LEDs with different voltage ratings that may be a problem?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHhWzejPXcs
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 09:24:49 AM by Gleix »

zenith ram

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 06:41:19 PM »

hey breakbeatnazi, man nice work. right thats exactly how i was figuring it to be. i didnt know doing it that way would cause any power issues or what, but it seemed like a logical answer. i did find the led bend on the small ic, i dont know the pin numbers, but it looks like this:

---->  . . . . . . . .

---->  . . . . . . . .

where the arrows point to the very first pin on each row where the jumper goes (solder side up, case on with keys taken out). ive found glitches on there as well, but it seems like the momentary switches arent that stable, and keep crashing where i have to restart the sa. how would you wire body contacts on there since the tacks i have have only one 'tip' sort to speak? i hear body contacts are much more stable and produce better results. cheers

the_zombiest

• Kicks like the DADDY!
    • The Zombiest's Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 11:19:39 PM »

how would you wire body contacts on there since the tacks i have have only one 'tip' sort to speak? i hear body contacts are much more stable and produce better results. cheers

Blue's really hard to read against black.

with the body contact, use 2. it makes sense if you really think about it.

By using two contacts, your body offers resistance between the two points of the glitch bend... and it's still not very stable or reliable, but it'll still sound super mega awesome.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 11:51:45 PM »

and you'd be a fool not to make something sound super mega awesome  ;)

LED's should be wired in parrellel not series.

Stereo isn't going to happen on a machine like the SA8 but you can get dual mono by just wiring both sides of a stereo jack to the same output point. You migt as well just use a mono jack though as its a mono signal.

Its easiest to just wire the ouput jack to the speaker terminals. If its too loud theres a few threads around the site on calming the signal down.

Blue against black is impossible to read.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

zenith ram

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 12:54:00 AM »

oh no, your right! no one's perfect  ;D

thats the way to put it, mega awesomeness is always welcome in my studio! thanks guys that clears things up. ive set it up and it works like a charm.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 01:13:52 AM by zenith ram »