Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Advice?  (Read 6508 times)

locust1313

Advice?
« on: October 27, 2009, 07:25:28 PM »

I have a Heathkit morse code key-er model sk102, a Teletubbies stuffed animal giggle/noisemaker, a Mattel Disney song/key thing, a chinese GA-01 keyboard(I think), a Yamaha PSR-83(bought for $20), a Casio MT-500(bought for $25), and a Casio CZ-101( bought for $140, 2nd one) that I am interested in possibly bending.  I am a big fan of the old modular moogs and love knobs galore.  Any advice on bending these items?  I can't get the pics up of the toys and I would assume most of you know what the keyboards look like.   Being new to the hobby, I of course am going to start with the toys and when comfortable look towards the keyboards.  Well the chinese one is already open and I have poked around and found a few sounds not available before.  Still gotta go get some pots, switches and so on to really find all the sounds.  I am also thinking of setting up a separate test board that has pots, switches, etc with leads, mounted up for general checks in finding what each size pot/ switch does work best while checking through the circuit.  Give me a hollar if ya got some advice.  thanks in advance

nochtanseenspecht

• Three fingered inbred banjo plucker
Re: Advice?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 09:50:56 PM »

if you like modular, go modular !  :D
fill those toys with patchbays, and interconnect them !
always fun, and suprising
if it smell burned, put some caps and pots between the cables ;)
yamaha and casio =  :-* :-*
only dont spoil the cz, it doesn't need bending anyway

Timodon

• Way to much time on his hands
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 06:44:32 PM »

Speaking as a more or less total n00b myself just get stuck in to the toys and expect at least one of them to fry/ break/ fill with poorly positioned holes before you get the hang of what you're doing  ;D

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 06:57:59 PM »

timoden is right, just start with the toy you can most afford to lose and try bending it. I'd even recommend definately not looking for schematics for that toy before you start or else you'll won't actually be discovering anything and thats the whole magic of bending tioys. Just find some general tips by looking around this forum and elsewhere and go for it. If you fuck it up then you've not lost much and you've probably learnt a lot.

Leave the CZ until you know what you are doing  ;)
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

SineHacker

• Kicks like the DADDY!
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 11:32:57 PM »

if it smell burned, put some caps and pots between the cables ;)

;D
yum, plastic sinewaves