Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: stupid question recarding lfo synths (still on topic of effects)  (Read 6958 times)

jamiewoody

• This person is dangerously insane.

my "stupid" question being, with a simple LFO circuit, can an INPUT jack be installed for guitar?

i know these type of boxes, wsg, atari punk, and the other cult classics are meant to stand alone as a musical instrument. but, since it is a manipulation of a soundwave, i assume subtractive in shaping the wave, could it not also shape the signal of a guitar, bass, etc?

the million dollar question at hand: where would the input jack be installed?  near the positive or negative flow?

thanks in advance.
"gravity...it's what's for dinner!"

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: stupid question recarding lfo synths (still on topic of effects)
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 07:51:49 PM »

But they aren't manipulating a soundwave like an effects processor would. Stuff like the WSG or APC are creating the the soundwave on a basic aynthesis level. They create a waveform, usually a squarewave, by manipulating timing circuitry to create an oscillator. Its not subtractive synthesis, its just synthesis on a very basic level.

In theory you could use an audio input to control the frequency of an oscillator but it doesn't sound pretty. If you look here http://www.hollis.co.uk/john/crashsync.jpg you'll find a schematic for John Hollis' crash sync effects unit which is savage to say the least.

According to the text:

'In this instance the guitar signal is used to reset an oscillator running at a higher sweepable frequency. The effect is not dissimilar to flanging. Not one for the tone freaks, this is a destroy-your-tone effect for noise vandals.'

i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

jamiewoody

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 12:46:59 AM »

good explaination, thanks for your help.

would a ring modulator, which is a guitar effect sometimes be the exception?
"gravity...it's what's for dinner!"

Bogus Noise

• Kicks like the DADDY!
    • Bogus Noise Website
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 06:58:20 PM »

It's not so much an exception as a different effect, but yeah, you could plug a guitar directly into a ring modulator and an oscillator into the other input. The LFO is a control signal, and in this case would be used to control the pitch of the oscillator.