Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: First time bending something, mid-90's Casio SA-40  (Read 7278 times)

BizzNazzMan

First time bending something, mid-90's Casio SA-40
« on: June 20, 2010, 06:33:01 AM »

This was a recent find at the local thrift shop for $2.50 - I think I got a good deal. It works fine and even came with batteries.

What I did first was take the case apart, clean it up, and spray the entire case white with some nice Rustoleum plastic paint. It has worked well in the past.

Since this is my first time attempting this, I don't want to get too complicated.

What this device really lacks is a nice output jack, which I intend to install in the rear. The stock speaker is OK, but I want a good stereo output for recording this. Aside from the stereo out put, I would also like to bend the rotating wheel (was pink I painted it red) in the corner. I was thinking of installing some rheostats in the lower right side of the keyboard (hollow end) and running the rheostats to the three-way circut for the spinning wheel. I am looking into something called "power starvation" as well.

If I can't get too far along with the bending on this one right now, I will just install the output jack and put it back together. With all the stock decals sanded off and painted white, plus all the little multi-colored buttons that will go back on the board area with no labels, this thing looks very cool.

How are these things to bend? Also, when I get the out put jack, can I just splice it into the wires for the speaker? I have't done this kind of work before. Can I wire it right in line with the speaker wires and the speaker will just shut off when the headphone jack is inserted? I am a total electrical novice, so any advice about adding a jack would be great.

Also, what would be some other suggestions for this device, without getting too crazy? I have wired a simple elctric guitar before, so my soldering skills and knowledge of pots, resistors and so forth is OK, but not great. I would welcome any input you might have, thanks.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 06:38:18 AM by BizzNazzMan »

kitsophrenik

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
  • GET KILLED
    • its my facebook... innit! =)
Re: First time bending something, mid-90's Casio SA-40
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 08:35:30 AM »

... i suggest you get one with buttons and keys first...

:P
KINETIC INDIVIDUAL TRAINED for SABOTAGE and ONLINE NULLIFICATION.....

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 11:19:14 AM »

I'm sure there are a few threads on here already with some general discussion of Casio SA series machines and some more stuff specific to the SA40. I know theres a way to get some extra sounds discussed in a thread somewhere. The search function is your friend  ;)

again, there are a lot of threads discussing adding line outs that are relevant to any machine.You should be able to wire the speaker outputs to a switching socket so that when you plug a jack into the socket the speaker cuts out, or just wire the jack to the speaker terminals a go from there.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

BizzNazzMan

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 05:29:37 PM »

... i suggest you get one with buttons and keys first...

:P

haha - no, this is just an in progress photo of where it is at now. I am going for the iPod / 2001, A Space Odyssey look on this one.

I plan to use two pots to the left of the keys with blue knobs, and micro switches with little red or white colored tips.

BizzNazzMan

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 02:14:00 AM »

I have searched the forums for this info, but I am really bad at reading about how to hook up electronics, I need to see it done or see it drawn out.

I bought a stereo 1/8" phone jack from Radio Shack, the 3 conductor closed circuit variety. I want the speaker to shut off when a plug is inserted.

Can anyone refer me to a drawing where this exact jack is being used? It is RS part # 274-0246.

Thanks.

kitsophrenik

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
  • GET KILLED
    • its my facebook... innit! =)
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 08:34:39 AM »

nice wan..

wish i could help! i look forwad to seeing the finished unit...

also liking the sound of 2001 space oddysey look your going for!

KINETIC INDIVIDUAL TRAINED for SABOTAGE and ONLINE NULLIFICATION.....

seaweedfactory

Try this thread for more sounds
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 06:22:26 PM »

Try this thread for more sounds. There are MANY hidden instruments!

http://www.circuitbenders.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=280.msg2410

I used resistors R111 and R122.