Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Korg Monotron  (Read 32369 times)

kriminal

Korg Monotron
« on: August 02, 2010, 07:44:11 PM »

anyone interested in doing mods for this?

specifically something like 'monodular' seen here

http://korgc383.tempdomainname.com/Product/Dance/monotron/welove/#a2

http://houshu.at.webry.info/

or the Monotron+ (with MIDI)

http://beatnic.jp/monotron/index.html

kriminal

Re: Korg Monotron
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 09:01:14 PM »

anyone? i thought you guys would be all over  this synth....

kitsophrenik

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
  • GET KILLED
    • its my facebook... innit! =)
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 02:08:03 PM »

i really like the look of those bends and that..

just up my street... but unfourtunatly its a bit advanced for me at the moment i just tinker with kids toys and the occasionall keybord...

if you have one and arnt to fussed about deading it just unscrew and poke around at the circuits...my betting is  you soon find glitches and pitch mods etc....

see what u kan do triall and error styley!

=)
KINETIC INDIVIDUAL TRAINED for SABOTAGE and ONLINE NULLIFICATION.....

kriminal

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 07:38:01 PM »

apparently...." if you open up the case you'll see on the PCB that the CV gate bend point is clearly labeled, so theoretically it should be fairly straightforward to retrofit MIDI or control it via CV"

Matt the Modulator

• Kicks like the DADDY!
  • 8Bit Brain Analog Heart
    • THE MAGIC MESS
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 10:58:51 PM »

thanks for the links and have you got a monotron Kriminal?
8Bit Brain Analog Heart

kriminal

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 10:01:48 AM »

i have, bought one last month. When the local shop gets some back in stock im gonna get another one, hopefully to get modded (but not by me, thats something i cant even think about trying  :D )

electoyd

• Kicks like the DADDY!
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 03:54:46 PM »

a friend over in the states just added midi on his sounds ok.  Have to say was a bit bored after twiddling it for 10 mins, and i find the interface quite laughable it is like it has been made for a child, judging by the size of the keys and pots.  Think they could have gone to town on the construction and put lots of leds on and made the pots better.  But at least they bothered good to see one of the big companies still keeping their ear to the ground.  The filter is probably the best thing about it and has an input so is useful, sure some good mods will come out to haven't had time to try yet.  I think the gakken looks better and is actually better on some fronts though that has big draw backs also but at least it has an envelope.

edit: i tried to add cv/gate last night, cv seems to work alright, goes strange when you add the gate signal, would be interested to hear others experiments.  No low notes when gate is added, didn't have much time to fanny about with it, have to say the build quality is very flimsy and it is not much of a pleasure to work on because it is too small.  Pitch, gate and cutoff are marked on pcb.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 12:01:48 PM by electoyd »

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 07:35:01 PM »

Pitch, gate and cutoff are marked on pcb.

Almost as if they knew this would be a target for modding and planned for it in advance.  :-\
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

electoyd

• Kicks like the DADDY!
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 07:51:57 PM »

i reckon they will wait and see what mods people come up with and then release better modules later maybe pinch a few ideas on the way. I'm pretty sure they want people to mod em, but its like they are trying to be uber cool by making it so small but it just makes it really difficult to fit anything in and use it.  But the back kinda flips up so you can access the back of the circuit where the pcb markings are so you can access it which is good as the battery compartment is really annoying and the components on the other side are microscopic surface mount cant imagine trying to put anything on there.  I'm sounding kinda negative i know, but it does have something, the sound can be quite tough and solid.

jamiewoody

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 05:56:04 PM »

these look really cool! not a bad price either, with all the features! actually, i feel lik i am not far from being able to make one, but i would still like to have one of these!

to bend or not to bend, that is the question...does it mean you should, just because you can?

these things look pretty cool unbent. perhaps making more synth filters to add to it in a breakout box? make it so you can plug the breakout box in...
"gravity...it's what's for dinner!"

Matt the Modulator

• Kicks like the DADDY!
    • THE MAGIC MESS
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 06:21:40 PM »

to bend or not to bend, that is the question...does it mean you should, just because you can?
my answer to that is yeah bend the hell out off it  ;) without looking at what everyone else has done first see what u can get out off it  ;D (i find i just end up imitating other peoples ideas and NOT innovating my own if i see some else's bends first)
anyway I've got some birthday money and I'm gunner get one and see what can be done - happing bending
8Bit Brain Analog Heart

Gordonjcp

• http://www.nekosynth.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 06:35:47 PM »

What's inside one of these?  Are they worth getting?
If at first you don't succeed, stick it through a fuzzbox.

electoyd

• Kicks like the DADDY!
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 04:57:41 PM »

tiny circuit and components, mine is lying in a heap with some mods attached, i couldn't be bothered trying to get the cv/gate to work properly (no low notes).  They do work but i got side tracked and never finished it.  You need tiny fingers to use it!  kinda over rated but there is something about it.  Poor build quality though, horrible little pots and the ribbon controller is laughable its so small.  I could take a pic if you want Gordon mine is already open.

Matt the Modulator

• Kicks like the DADDY!
    • THE MAGIC MESS
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 07:03:14 PM »

tiny circuit and components, mine is lying in a heap with some mods attached, i couldn't be bothered trying to get the cv/gate to work properly (no low notes).  They do work but i got side tracked and never finished it.  You need tiny fingers to use it!  kinda over rated but there is something about it.  Poor build quality though, horrible little pots and the ribbon controller is laughable its so small.  I could take a pic if you want Gordon mine is already open.
Thanks for that ive changed my mind i have hands like shovels so the monotron is not for me i quess
8Bit Brain Analog Heart

electoyd

• Kicks like the DADDY!
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 09:57:43 PM »

i think you would need dolls hands to use the ribbon controller  ;)  i've had a think and Gordon if you want i'll send you my monotron if you wanna have a look at it and if you can work out whats goin on with it and sort out my mods, and you can have a look and decide if you want one.  They have a powerful filter.  I just stay in Edinburgh so it's just down the road you got my email give me a shout if you want and i can send it somewhere for you.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4