Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 1st Annual Moog Circuit Bending Challenge  (Read 10118 times)

arron

• Way to much time on his hands
1st Annual Moog Circuit Bending Challenge
« on: October 21, 2010, 09:09:41 PM »

www.moogmusic.com/news/?cat_id=256

Well worth entering? Read the rules and regs and see what you think! You could be giving away more than you think!

Arron @ S-CAT

Gordonjcp

• This person is dangerously insane.
    • http://www.nekosynth.co.uk
Re: 1st Annual Moog Circuit Bending Challenge
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 10:27:17 PM »

Yeah, because Moog Music is going to get someone right on the task of scouring eBay for vastly overpriced children's toys to poke with wires...
If at first you don't succeed, stick it through a fuzzbox.

arron

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 03:57:02 PM »

Yeah, because Moog Music is going to get someone right on the task of scouring eBay for vastly overpriced children's toys to poke with wires...

Now you see the light! I came on the site and gave good advice about copyrights and keeping things to yourself. Now that Moog are moving in on the game, it seems that we may have something to protect here...

arron

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 12:28:56 PM »

Did you read the rules? It says that you give them all of your rights to the modifications and drawings/info that you submit. They can see that there is money to be made from some of these ideas. Not sure if you are knocking me there with your reply, but poking with wires gets a prototype designed which is then perfected on future builds. The knowledge gained is then documented, they are your own ideas that Moog are looking to own.

I may have missunderstood what you have said here so do not take offence, as I am just trying to point out that copyright has merit when it comes to circuit bending.

Arron ::)

jamiewoody

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 11:44:35 PM »

yeah, if not for that little clause, i might do this. i only live 2 hours from moog ind...
"gravity...it's what's for dinner!"

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 12:10:24 AM »

I'm guessing its more for reproduction for publicity purposes than Moog wanting to make money out of any circuitbenders ideas. Something tells me that a company who built the Moog Voyager etc and actually know a thing or two about electronics, are not only capable of doing anything any circuitbender can do, and doing it better, but also have far better things to do with their time than mess around with modding toys.

In fact i can't believe that i just wrote that sentence!  :-\

Anyway, putting aside the argument about whether its actually possible to hold any copyright over a mod you've done on a toy for a moment, i can't say I'd really give a shit if Moog held any rights over a mods I'd done on a £5 toy. What would be the problem?

Just my opinion.

i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

arron

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 01:54:20 AM »

Anyway, putting aside the argument about whether its actually possible to hold any copyright over a mod you've done on a toy for a moment, i can't say I'd really give a shit if Moog held any rights over a mods I'd done on a £5 toy. What would be the problem?

Just my opinion.

That is one opinion, based on a £5 toy. But the competition says anything that runs on batteries (the R-8's out of the question then)? The SH-10 runs on batteries, so a £300-500 machine would make it a little harder to want to give away your design rights.

Yes they made the voyager, but they coul;d be looking to make something like the little Korg box, which someone on this site has said was produced so that it could be circuit bent and that they would then source the mods that people had made and then go into production with a bigger unit. Some times the more that you know about a subject can stop you from seeing the obvious or even a new way of doing things.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 12:12:52 PM by arron »

jamiewoody

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 05:29:34 AM »

i'm really surprised more brands do not make products to circuit bend. think about it, if casio would re-release the sk1 and sa2, it would be to their advantage. they would sell a lot of them  and they would not have to worry with pesky waranty details....voiding warranties is are speciality!  ;D

arron

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 12:21:32 PM »

i'm really surprised more brands do not make products to circuit bend. think about it, if casio would re-release the sk1 and sa2, it would be to their advantage. they would sell a lot of them  and they would not have to worry with pesky waranty details....voiding warranties is are speciality!  ;D

If they did re-release those machines the price would be close to a circuit bent unit from ebay, they have just released a new SA range, but the quality of the sounds are so much better. The music in the add was made on the new SA, take a look... CASIO Keyboard Commercial - NEW SA mini series

There is nothing stopping us from working on these units.

jamiewoody

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 09:47:29 PM »

that was a good commercial. it's funny, really. my sa-2 has a pollock like paint job on it. and there was this little girl in the commercial with paint on her hands...i swear i didn't see the commercial first! lol!

electoyd

• Kicks like the DADDY!
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 10:39:51 AM »

Turns out Thom from Burnkit 2600 is one of the 3 finalists in the Moog circuit bending festival-to be decided this weekend-GO THOM GO!