Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: morely emerald echo...  (Read 7247 times)

jamiewoody

• This person is dangerously insane.
morely emerald echo...
« on: January 10, 2011, 07:33:37 AM »

i have an idea, a sure-fire one i think. i've never even opened this pedal up! ;-)

on most any analog delay, the "delay" pot if you twist it while on, also acts as a pitch control. so, why not make an output jack from there,  to plug in an expression pedal...since an expression pedal is basically a potentiometer?

the pot in the expression pedal (volume pedal) may have to be changed to match the value in the delay pot.

this would be cool for some cool "whammy pedal" type effects.

has anybody ever tackled any thing like this?

i may get a cheap dunlop volume pedal, used...or i may harvest the volume pedal out of my old lowery spinnet organ.
"gravity...it's what's for dinner!"

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: morely emerald echo...
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 12:04:06 PM »

I've done this on a couple of rackmount delay units. It doesn't really work like a whammy pedal pitchshifter in any respect as the delay buffer is always repeating whats coming into it at the same pitch, just at faster intervals. You'll only actually be able to pitch bend one repeat. Its a bit difficult to describe but i'm sure you know what i mean.

At shorter delay times its more like a flanger with a pedal for manual control, but for longer delays you can do some bizarre psychedelic hawkwind guitar action. Its really good fun if nothing else  :D
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

jamiewoody

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 06:58:52 PM »

there are  three controls...repeat, mix and delay. if you manually twist the delay pot, you get this wacked out pitch shift!

so, since an expression pedal is a potentiometer, why not hook one up to the delay pot? turn the delay all the way up, and use the pedal to cut.

another thought, if the resistance is wrong on the expression pedal's pot, i could always change it using resistors to the proper resistance.
"gravity...it's what's for dinner!"

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 07:10:58 PM »

there are  three controls...repeat, mix and delay. if you manually twist the delay pot, you get this wacked out pitch shift!

Yeah, but only while you are turning the pot. Which is why a modulation section on a delay can create flanger and chorus effects as well.

so, since an expression pedal is a potentiometer, why not hook one up to the delay pot? turn the delay all the way up, and use the pedal to cut.

I though that was what you were saying already. Its a pretty easy job to do

another thought, if the resistance is wrong on the expression pedal's pot, i could always change it using resistors to the proper resistance.

Its easier to just pull the pot out of the pedal and put in one of the correct value in my experience, although you'll probably get a somewhat wider range if you put in a bigger one than the one in the delay.

i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool