Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: new  (Read 16875 times)

tony65

Re: new
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2011, 01:07:07 PM »

Well, there's not really anything you can break in a Monotron!  It's all cheap readily-available bits, so if you do somehow manage to zorch something in a feat of spectactular boneheadedness you can fix it.  It's not like a Speak'n'Spell where you can wreck it beyond repair because the custom ICs are very fragile.

It's more the fact everything is miniature in a monotron and if you have practically zero experience with electronics i don't think that surface mount components are the best way to gain the kind of experience you need in circuit bending.  Most of the people i know that do this hate surface mount due to it's fiddly nature, but i know thats what you deal with day in day out Gordon so its probably second nature to you. 

As for you speak and spell Tony, why pay someone else to do it when you could probably do it your self in a couple of months after some practise.  Most of the fun of this 'art' is doing it yourself and learning, set yourself a goal that you want to build up to the speak and spell, look at some schematics and hone your skills in that area.  When i first got into circuit bending i found an sk5 at the car boot sale and wasn't sure enough to do it myself and got my friend (that got me into circuit bending) to do it.  I regretted that later because it robbed me off the chance to build it to my own taste, which is the beauty of circuit bending building machines to your own spec.

good luck now

yeah guess your right , gonna try and pick another up cheap , or something similar and have a go , hopefully i wont mess it up , but then its a learning curve , but thanks for the advice.

tony

selfpreservation

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
Re: new
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 11:00:54 AM »

well, fix it then!  Jeez, there's nothing to them.  How on earth did you manage to break it, anyway?  Are you particularly prone to breaking crowbars in sandpits?

i dunno how i broke it, the osc stopped triggering ,i had been poking around in there trying to bypass the osc and trigger the gate /lfo without affecting the cv pitch by adding a dtc144 to the quad op amp and using that as gate in and it died after that ,i replaced the quad op amp still didnt help, the osc was annoying me anyway and the surface mount components are too small and fiddly for me to work on , the filter and the lfo is the only good thing about it tbh, it is now a usable filter with a triggerable lfo and cv vcf control , not a gimmiky toy  8) rolf harris machine
Pages: 1 [2]