Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: a question regarding the green strips on circuits  (Read 5455 times)

aspek2

a question regarding the green strips on circuits
« on: June 08, 2011, 07:39:54 PM »

Hello everyone, I have been viewing this forum for awhile, there is a lot of great information on here. Recently I was bending a keyboard that I have, when one of the green strips on the circuit board ripped off with the wire still attached. This green strip and circuit point is connected to the power supply, so it is no longer working. My question is, is there a way to fix this problem? I have tried to hold down the green strip in place to see if it will work, but no luck. I put some pictures to show the problem, although they are pretty blurry.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/804/circuit1.jpg/

the brown area by the blue wire is where the green strip used to be

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/685/circuit2.jpg/

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm fairly new to bending.
also, what is the name for the "green strips"?

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: a question regarding the green strips on circuits
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 08:00:10 PM »

Is there actually a component coming through the board there? I can't tell from the picture.

If not, my advice would be to follow that circuit trace/track (either word is fine) back to wherever something else solders to it, and solder the blue wire on there.
If there is a component coming through the board where its pulled off i'd suggest taking some wire and wiring from that component leg to any other point where something solders to that trace, effectively bridging the break. Then wire the blue wire to the component leg as well.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

Glitch Militia

Re: a question regarding the green strips on circuits
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 05:56:26 PM »

You can also scratch/scrape the green layer off.

It is called "Solder Mask" and is there to prevent short circuits. When you scrape it of you will be able to solder on the the copper strip underneath it.