Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Bend Buffer  (Read 4415 times)

SearchAndRescue

Bend Buffer
« on: September 25, 2011, 07:28:59 AM »

I was messing with my bent Casio MT-140 earlier tonight when I stumbled upon something.

My MT-140 is bent with an external 24 point patchbay which is connected to one half of the sound chip. I would have kept going but I ran out of wire and space in my breakout box...Anyways, I was messing around with connecting two points on the patchbay and sampling the result with Ableton Live. Basically what happened was that for some reason that I don't remember, instead of connecting the points and then hitting keys, I held down the low D key and then connected two points together. It resulted in the strangest descending bass portamento I've ever heard. I tried the technique with all the voices and with rhythms playing, and the results were very different. So basically, if there is audio already playing when the bend is initiated, the results are different than when the bend is constant. That brings me to my question:

Does anybody on the forum have any ideas for building a 'bend delay'? I was thinking of some circuit that would scan the keys/buttons or be triggered by the audio, and then the circuit would wait for a user-defined time, and then make the connection between the two points on the circuit. The time would be adjusted to suit the length of the original sound, effectively deciding the 'buffer width'.

Ultimately, I would love to be able to make a circuit that would do this and build it so it would fit in my generic module housing. Any ideas about how to design this circuit would be greatly appreciated, espcecially since I'm not really good with true theory electronics, just 'poke and prod' bending.

SearchAndRescue

Re: Bend Buffer
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 04:30:33 PM »

Nobody? Come on!

Bogus Noise

• Kicks like the DADDY!
    • Bogus Noise Website
Re: Bend Buffer
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 07:48:55 PM »

Well, I have a similar idea for a different application. My MIDI controller keyboard has octave + and - selectors on the main keys, that you access by pressing a 'Select' button first. My plan is to make a little circuit with 2 buttons for the + and - instead. This will basically be a 555 timer delay circuit and a 4016 circuit. When pressed, the circuit will press the 'Select' button, then press the MIDI note for octave switch, then press the 'Select' button again. Dirty, but will be handy.

So yeah, if you look into those two circuits, and find a way to detect when a keypress has occurred, that'll be a route to your bend delay. I noticed similar differences with constant/momentary bend connections on my SK1 actually, so there's a few keyboards that could use this.