Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Project Boxes  (Read 9309 times)

damientheomen

Project Boxes
« on: September 24, 2006, 10:51:07 AM »

I was wondering whether any one could help me. I need a cube project box for my Art GCSE, I was wondering whether anyone knew of any good suplliers I could use. Basically what I need is a cube made of either plastic or metal (but preferbly plastic) with a face size roughly equal to that of a fully grown man's hand (about 21cm squared). Also a lip that protudes over the edge of each face would be good but I could add that in myself.

What I'm planning is a sort of noise cube. One face containing about 3-5 speakers and the other's containing switches and body contacts for 5 different toys.

Any advice would be greatly appreaciated.

andy_wheels

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
Re: Project Boxes
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 11:29:01 AM »

Instead of looking for something new, why not get down your local charity shop, junk shop or car boot sale and buy a box second hand.

you'll be recycling something and i bet you'll end up with with a machine which has a lot more character. only issue might be finding a cube. hmmmm.

i'm about to put a noise thingy together (singing buddha/distortion/echo/feedback!) and it's all going in a nice old wooden first aid box.  :)

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 01:13:03 PM »

Yeah, i think cube boxes that big are a little unlikely from electronics suppliers as project boxes so secondhand might be the way to go. Take a look at the vintage electronics / test equipment and vintage medical kit departments on ebay. You might end up paying a bit over the odds for shipping but you can probably find an old bit of test kit in a big enough box that you can gut and you might also get some cool old meters and knobs that you could incorporate into the design.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 01:14:31 PM »

Oh, and post a picture of the thing here when you are finished (if i ever get the image uploading thing working) as i'd be interested to see how it turns out.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool