Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: how can a casio vl tone be worth more than 3 keyboards!  (Read 11703 times)

electoyd

• Kicks like the DADDY!
how can a casio vl tone be worth more than 3 keyboards!
« on: January 10, 2012, 07:33:24 PM »

so ebay what a mad world, i got £15 for a vltone, £20 for a hing hon and 99p (!) for a pss170, a saisho mk600 and pss140!!  no-one seems that interested in buying the keyboards for circuit bending anymore or is it just me, apart from a few select ones, the sk's and vss, the hing hon and vl bloody tones!.  I've been having a huge clearout of gear, even the drum machines ain't goin for that much in comparison to a year or so ago.  These over priced auctions that you see-£110 for a 505 they never seem to sell.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: how can a casio vl tone be worth more than 3 keyboards!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 08:01:57 PM »

£15 for a vl-tone and it was probably s-cat that bought it from you under some alias.  :-\

Its always been like that hasn't it? SK's, VSS', VL's and hing hon's go for way more than they are worth, and PSS keyboards which are arguably more interesting but a lot more difficult to bend, go for bugger all. All you need is for someone to spread the rumour that Aphex Twin used a certain PSS on his early stuff and the price will go through the roof.

Maybe people just don't have the money to waste on experimental stuff that might not turn out to be be any good at the moment.

I have noticed theres a lot less in terms of drum machines for auction recently. You don't see anywhere near as many 505's, HR16's and Korg DDD's for auction as you used to. Even Yamaha RX's are getting a bit thin on the ground. Maybe its because everyone is trying to sell them on ebay as 'buy it now' for stupid money and none of them are actually selling.

i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

electoyd

• Kicks like the DADDY!
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 06:57:50 PM »

yeah i think there is more buy it now's than auction, i have tried to auction a few things they have been hit or miss.  I sold 2 505's-got £40 and £45 to be honest i still made money on em, but there was quite a lack of interest, even an r50 got about the same, it's probably quite a fair price to be honest.  But £20 for a hing hon, when you see it is just shite plastic and hope that keep the thing in one piece, you have to laugh. Yeah the pss are way more interesting the the sk's and defo provide more of a challenge, and infinitly better made, these things are solid and will outlast a hing hon by about 20 years, you just have to sneeze near a hing hon and something stops working.. 
On a plus side i couldn't believe how much a tr606 is 'worth' these days, i know they are your favourite Paul! glad to get rid of mine while it still worked, good thing i kept the packaging.  Anyone else had crazy auction shenanigans on ebay good or bad?

dislocations

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 07:55:35 AM »

Noticed that eBay circuit bent stuff doesn't sell like it used to, due to the recession I guess?
In the UK, sad but true :-)

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 05:20:49 PM »

Well presented bent stuff still seems to sell pretty well. S-cat sticks a crappy delay circuit in a box with wooden sides and a new front panel,  and people pay £200 on a regular basis.

I think when it comes to selling circuit bent stuff people aren't so interested in buying cheaper modded toys for daft money anymore. The 'recession' just means you have to put in more effort i guess.

On a plus side i couldn't believe how much a tr606 is 'worth' these days, i know they are your favourite Paul!

I have actually been trying to get hold of a 606 for a while now as i keep getting requests for mods, but i'll be buggered if i'm paying over £250 for such an overpriced and overated piece of junk. I'd rather build one from scratch and mod that instead.  ::)

electoyd

• Kicks like the DADDY!
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 04:33:53 PM »

I now have to laugh, £1.70 for my mt540 and someone retracted a bid!!  What the fuck is happening out there.  I took down my cz101 from ebay it had 26 watchers and i had a relentless stream of stupid questions about did each button and key work, does it come with this, or will you send it here or there.  It was all in the listing but as i'm beginning to realise people never read them properly and start haggling after they have bought an item to get cheaper or free postage usually.  Call me old fashioned but surely you haggle before you buy something!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 05:46:33 PM by electoyd »

selfpreservation

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 03:25:43 AM »

I have actually been trying to get hold of a 606 for a while now as i keep getting requests for mods, but i'll be buggered if i'm paying over £250 for such an overpriced and overated piece of junk. I'd rather build one from scratch and mod that instead.  ::)

the 606 is a beautiful drum machine ii adore it but i would say dont mod the bass drum i ended up putting mine back to normal cause it sounded really hollow and horrible the stock bass drum is great anyway  , its a complicated mod and a total waste of time DONT BOTHER
i cant understand why your so down on  it , yes it is overpriced so is everything on ebay and like you i wont pay the prices but if you can pick one up cheap go for it its great i use it loads  i bought mine for £130 and its worth every penny , it can din sync master slave its got 2 trig outs great sequencer and thats just stock with mods its a total monster , the circuits may be basic but they deliver bigtime , get one and youll see

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 07:18:18 PM »

I don't have a problem with the 606 as far as it goes. I had one years back but found it a bit limited and uninspiring, so sold it for about £50, which was a good price back then as nobody wanted them. It'd be a decent drum machine for about £40, which is probably a bit more than i'd say it was worth. To quote a different thread:

'...........if someone described to you a drum machine with 6 cheap sounds that you can’t edit in any way, with one output, which is impossible to sync up without a DIN sync converter, with bugger all memory and with a really shit programming interface, and then offered to sell it to you for £150 you’d just laugh in their face.'

That was back in 2006, when you could get a decent TR606 for £150, these days you'd be looking at closer to £300, which is insane!

To be honest i'd prefer to get a DR110 and stick a din sync mod in it for about 1/4 of the price. Each to their own though i guess.  ;)