Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: best synth for around $300?  (Read 13958 times)

gregisclassy

best synth for around $300?
« on: March 13, 2012, 01:19:03 AM »

I am considering the generic microkorg, any suggestions?
I just want fat bass for the most part, preferably analog

jamiewoody

• This person is dangerously insane.
Re: best synth for around $300?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 05:59:52 AM »

for that price range, you will find something like a used microkorg or maybe an alesis (i forgot the model...), both of these have vocoders, which is cool!

another option, which is a lot of BANG for the buck, is the AU/VST plug scene. if you have a computer (could be a used ibook , i got one for around $100usd). a program like garageband or cubase...

then do a google search for KVR AUDIO. there are some awesome FREE plugs like DA HORNET (wasp synth emulator), and TALEC7RO (a 3 oscillator synth, pretty fat!). there are deals if you look hard...i found a novation bass station plug that works with my PPC mac.

find a midi controller like m-audio ozone, oxygen, etc. the korg nano series rocks too! sometimes you can find this stuff CHEAP used! i got my ozone for around $40 used, and my nano kontrol for around the same price.

if you are frugel, you can do this whole setup for around or under $300usd.

if you want to spend a little more and get something NICE, the dave smith mofo is a great REAL analog synth for the money! mine was around $600 used, they go for around $800 new. but they have a lowpass vcf, 4 lfos, dual oscillators, sub-bass generator, sequencer, arpeggiator...that is a LOT of synth!
"gravity...it's what's for dinner!"

noiseybeast

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 09:18:20 PM »

Don't forget stuff like the monotron + monotribe.   Very moddable and VERY cheap. Also, used is always an option, you can save hundreds of dollars.  If you can do light repair, often you can save thousands, last summer I bought a broken MPC3000 for $300 and sold it when I realized I didn't want to circuit bend it.  I sold that for $800, I had to do VERY little work to get it to run.

nochtanseenspecht

• Three fingered inbred banjo plucker
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 10:52:34 PM »

an1x,  alpha juno,  juno106, dw8000, realistic mg-1 are my favourites in that price range,
the mg-1 and the 106 have the best low end in my taste, but also harder to find for that price
i would go for the alpha or the dw8000 in combination with a bcr2000 for the knobs
but  thats personal

deathbender

• Way to much time on his hands
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 01:56:43 PM »

for that price range, you will find something like a used microkorg or maybe an alesis (i forgot the model...)

Micron would be the model you're talking about I guess.

Gordonjcp

• http://www.nekosynth.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 07:06:52 PM »

I can't really see past the Novation Xiosynth for that kind of money.  16-note poly, three oscs per voice, arpeggiator, and a USB audio interface and USB MIDI output.  Good fun too.

You could pick up an A-station for not much, I think I paid 120 quid for mine.  Massively underrated gear.
If at first you don't succeed, stick it through a fuzzbox.

selfpreservation

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 11:55:28 AM »

Waldorf pulse no contest !!!! they are amazing sounding synths 3 Osc monsters you can even do triad chord stabs and with the free ctrlr vst au plugin editor they are breeze  to program , you can get them for £150, I want to get 4 of them and stack them in  poly synth mode

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 01:19:27 PM »

I'd agree with that. In terms of value for money analogue it'd be hard to beat a Waldorf Pulse, although you can pick up a Juno 1 or 2 for around the same price these days.

In audio terms is there much difference between something like a Xiosynth, and just using  a computer these days?
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

Gordonjcp

• http://www.nekosynth.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 05:35:14 PM »

Well, it's a lot more immediate than using a PC.  I don't really use computers for much other than editing samples these days, because I find them utterly creativity-destroying.

150 quid sounds about right for *any* analogue synth, to be honest.  They're just more bother than they're worth.
If at first you don't succeed, stick it through a fuzzbox.

selfpreservation

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 08:13:52 AM »

I'd agree with that. In terms of value for money analogue it'd be hard to beat a Waldorf Pulse

Someone clever like you Paul needs to have a poke around inside the pulse and find out how to add the audio input like on the pulse plus cause the filter is incredible on these and a pluse plus costs about £300 - £350 nowadays , a simple cheap audio in mod would make a lot of folks very happy , me for one

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 09:50:24 AM »

Is that the 4-pole or the x-pole?

Sounds pretty easy if you had access to a Pulse and a Pulse+ service manual so you could compare the two. Unfortunately i think Waldorf are a little cagey with their schematics.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

selfpreservation

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 10:07:48 AM »

Yeah I've tried to find a service manual no joy