Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Any internal pictorials on freebass mods?  (Read 4674 times)

unclejambo

Any internal pictorials on freebass mods?
« on: September 06, 2012, 09:47:06 AM »

I've got a spare output on my KSrack I could always run in tandem with the freebass's own VCO through the filter. I've also given thought to maybe adding VCO out to allow the patching of a fuzzbox or similar pre-filter.

Anyone done anything like tha?

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: Any internal pictorials on freebass mods?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 10:34:25 AM »

I think the filter input socket could be used as both a VCO output and a audio input. Its a stereo switched socket with the VCO signal fed into one side of the middle switched contact and out the other. When you stick a mono jack into the socket it lifts the middle contact, disconnecting the VCO, and then connects it to the ground contact it via the sleeve/barrel of the jack plug.

Presumably if you used a stereo jack then when you plugged it in, it would disconnect the VCO and instead of grounding it, it would be available on the ring connection of the plug.

This is guesswork as i haven't actually looked, but it seems reasonable.

Rather than just sticking it through a fuzzbox, i think you'd do better to boost the level so it actually overdrives the Freebass filter. Things tend to be a lot more expressive and interesting if you distort the filter rather than the VCO.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

unclejambo

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 11:19:10 AM »

Cheers for the tip... so it's essentially an insert point meaning you could plug a fuzz, or simple volume boost in using an insert cable?

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 11:47:14 AM »

I think so. Give it a go and see what happens.

It depends which side of the jack switching the VCO actually originates on, but if i recall correctly it must be the lever contact side because of the grounding the signal thing when you plug in a mono jack.

Let me know how it works out, as i'd never considered that you could use it as an insert point before you posted this thread.  ;)

i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

unclejambo

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 01:08:11 PM »

I think all my insert cables are tied up in FOH racks at installs but as soon as I get my mitts on one I will :)