Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Speak & Spell question  (Read 9279 times)

djsynchro

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
Speak & Spell question
« on: October 14, 2006, 11:12:15 PM »

Hi,

A while ago I bent a Speak & Spell 1 bend, jack out, pitch contact & pitch dial. Was one of the first bends I did copied from some boardscan. So now I am ready to put more bends on, I opened it up and it doesn't make a sound.

I made it so that the jack cuts off the speaker and, it does still work with with the jack output, but here's the weird thing:

If I close it back up, the inbuilt speaker works again, if I open it it doesn't....
Does anybody know why?

:)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 11:34:57 PM by djsynchro »

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: Speak & Spell question
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 05:50:39 PM »

If its one of those Speak&Spells where theres a round plastic cylinder on the back part that holds the speaker in place when the thing is closed, it could be that the plastic is pressing the speaker connections into place when you close it.

In fact it could be any number of things being shorted or disconnected by parts of the case. Try pressing and poking bits of the circuit or wiring to make it work when its open.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

djsynchro

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
Re: Speak & Spell question
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 12:02:34 AM »

it's one of thos with the red cylinder... and if my memory serves me well, it's alway done this...

This may sound stupid, but I'm going to leave it. It's been at several gig and banged about a bit and it always works. I put an extra bend on today (a gooooood one!!!!) and I just did it with the jack plugged into the stereo. Must be the speaker getting pushed into place. Eveything else looks fine.

Did you get the SQ-80 I sent an email to my friend asking him if I could poke around in his broken-keyboard ESQ-1. If that works out cozy (probably will... why not) Then I'll definitely retrofit the SQ-80 for the new millenium  :D