Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: IC body contacts with AC power?  (Read 7415 times)

vst

IC body contacts with AC power?
« on: March 07, 2013, 06:55:55 PM »

Hello everyone,

I was thinking about making a body contact patch-bay that can be touched or cabled together in various ways and I have a question about body contacts from an Am27C010 eprom.

My question is: Is this a terrible idea to do on an AC only drum machine (RZ-1)?

I would assume that there would be little chance of harm if the chip is only getting +5V but just wanted some advice in case I've missed something.

Thanks all.

Bogus Noise

• Kicks like the DADDY!
    • Bogus Noise Website
Re: IC body contacts with AC power?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 03:13:02 AM »

It should be ok, if it plugs into the mains via an adapter - the drum machine will only be receiving a small voltage so there wouldn't be any way for you to get electrocuted unless the adapter failed and did something weird. I'd stay away from anything that plugs directly into the mains though!

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 03:43:50 PM »

Body contacts on a EPROM? does that do anything?

The RZ1 has an internal transformer, but that transformer does exactly the same job as the transformer inside an external power supply. Think of it as having an external power supply built in. Just avoid the high voltage stuff on the power supply board on the right and put a little thought into it, and you'll be fine.

The admonition against bending stuff thats directly mains powered is mainly there to protect people who would open up stuff that could have exposed lethal voltages on the PSU board, and would then just short stuff randomly until something cooked their eyeballs.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 03:46:41 PM »

oh, and BE CAREFUL!

NEVER assume that its unplugged from the mains without checking!

On something like this i'd usually find a bit of cardboard and stuck it over the PSU section, so i don't accidentally hit it or drop something in it.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

vst

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 06:54:11 PM »

Yeah, I'm not actually sure if body contact between chip lines will even do much, if anything, if it doesn't I won't even go that route. I just thought it'd be cool to have an inverted banana bay, similar to a bolt bay but more sleek looking. Plus it's easy to make female banana cables with the left-over parts from the banana plugs.

Thanks for your input.  I'll post my work when I start.