Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Help fixing Speak & Spell  (Read 6780 times)

tilde

Help fixing Speak & Spell
« on: March 24, 2013, 08:23:41 PM »

I just got  hold of a broken Speak & Spell that I need some help fixing.  The display seems to be working fine however there is no sound. The speaker wires have been disconected which hopefully is the only problem.  Does anyone know where they should be connected to on the circuit board?  I've attached a photo of my board (as they all seem to be slightly different). Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: Help fixing Speak & Spell
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 01:07:10 AM »

right at the top towards the right, just above that row of 9 solder points, theres two pairs of connections.  Each pair are connected together i think. One speaker wire should go to each pair of points. If they aren't connected together in pairs just use the ones that have the circuit traces going to them.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

tilde

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 10:37:10 AM »

Thanks to  crustypaul I've got the speaker working (-:

However, I have a bigger problem now - the ribbon connecting the keypad to the back of the circuit board has been detached (on the circuit board end). I've been trying to push it back in but it keeps coming out again - lots of cursing and swearing! Anyone have any tips on the best way to do this?

Thanks. 

Bogus Noise

• Kicks like the DADDY!
    • Bogus Noise Website
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 06:39:35 PM »

They're a ballache to get back in! There's a couple of pages on the below link that'll help you work around it - I usually solder a push button over the 'on' points when I'm testing - but if anyone has a consistent way to reattach them it'd be better!

http://www.sailormouth.org/binfo.html