Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Casio SK-1 is fried...  (Read 6490 times)

Nixot

Casio SK-1 is fried...
« on: July 29, 2013, 03:50:33 PM »

Worked perfectly yesterday, turned it on this morning, power LED went on then immediately faded off (like turning something on when it's not plugged in, and the LED goes on for a short while)... tried swapping out the batteries with fresh ones, absolutely nothing happened when I turned it on. Left it without any batteries in for a while and tried using the power adapter, still nothing... cracked it open and saw that the main(?) chip looked like this. The shiny bits are smooth to the touch as opposed to the textured feel of how chips are supposed to feel. Also the bits where the wires are soldered look a bit... burnt. Also (this isn't visible in the picture) there seems to be a shiny patch on the circuit board around the chip. I can't turn the board around because of the soldered wires but I can imagine the chips on the other side aren't much better. So I imagine this poor keyboard is toast. What a week... first my desktop PC fries and in the space of two days so does my beloved SK-1. Any idea on how this may have happened / how it can be prevented?

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: Casio SK-1 is fried...
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 08:15:24 PM »

That chip looks fine. the shiny bits and burnt looking patches are probably just flux and residue from when it was soldered on. There might also some kind of protective coating which has spilled onto the chip surface.
I wouldn't suspect that you have a problem with that chip.

Do you have a multimeter? I would advise tracing the power into the circuit to find out where you're losing it. I can't remember if the SK1 has a voltage regulator, but if it does, that would be your first suspect.
You might find an answer to this problem on here somewhere, as i'm pretty sure i've seen someone describe this exact issue before, although i don't recall a definite solution.

i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool