Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beginner advice  (Read 4615 times)

ChristopherDandy

Beginner advice
« on: March 19, 2014, 02:21:34 PM »

Hi there,

I'm relatively new to being 'a bender' and seek some advice.

I've picked up amateur electronics over the past year or so, initially  due to the necessity of repairs of being in a band, but subsequently out of the love of the the whole process.

I've managed pretty well so far going it alone figuring shit out for myself and have completed a fair few pedal kits, recovered lots of old shit I had lying around and recently built my first APC.  As you can probably imagine there are potholes throughout my knowledge, hence my reach out now to join a community and push my learning further, and eventually share some back!

The main area of trouble I have is the terminology used in many projects, even down to the names of components. Eg. Yesterday I spent an hour searching the web for replacement switches/faders which I still don't have a clue what name to lay upon. There are like slide switches but with contacts directly touching the PCB with what I can only describe as scalextric style contacts... Wtf are these called??? They are used for volume, tone etc.. On my Casio pt-22.

Which leads me to my current project, my pt-22 ,my first legitimate bend project! I have been perfectly content dismantling, probing and patching all sorts of ideas on this, however feel that I have undertaken a project beyond my sole knowledge.
The deeper I explore the more questions I uncover. Eg.

Say, if I wanted to add additional circuits, like adding a delay. I know I can place it sequentially but the delay circuit has a 9v power and my pt 22 only has a 6v. This gives me two power supplies to contend with, how would I best combine these two circuits? Can I power them both from the same source?

Like I say huge gaps in my knowledge and I have a lot of reading to do.

Anyway, any pointers would be hugely welcomed. And yeah, hello I guess.

I'm off to scout out the board see what I can find.

Thanks for reading,

Safe
Chris