Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Home Made Stomp Box  (Read 11329 times)

samspike

• Way to much time on his hands
    • Violet Club (virtual atomic rock band)
Home Made Stomp Box
« on: February 25, 2011, 02:56:00 PM »

I made a stomp box (the kind that you stamp you feet on to make a percussive thud, not a guitar pedal). Pics to follow.

Looks and works great, but

1. it's not a deep enough thud. Any suggestions? Should I add more wood - since it's a light box?

2. I'm also looking for some suitable rubber matting to glue to the bottom to stop it sliding. Suggestions?

Amusing aside: You can make it feedback by carefully positioning in front of the amp.

Dylan

• Closer to the meat
Re: Home Made Stomp Box
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 06:04:48 PM »

I'm guessing what you're talking about is a hollow wooden box with a contact mic in it? If that's the case I would think a bigger box with more room inside to reverberate would give you the lower "thud."

You can go to any electronics outlet and buy what are called "rubber feet" (link), they're basically rubber bits you put on the bottom of projects so they don't slide around. . .and they look like chocolate, not as delicious though :(.

Hope this helps el hombre.
www.palmetronics.com
BitCoin accepted.

samspike

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 07:56:15 PM »

Yes that's basically what I did.

The box is pretty big for a stomp box, so I doubt that's the problem.  Somebody on another forum suggested a thin piece of rubber between the piezo and the wood, so I'll try that.

I have some rubber feet, but I've decied instead to user a rubber-back doormat  (cost me 3.91 - the most expensive item in this project!), and cut it too size, then glue to the bottom.  I think this will grip the floorr much better than 4 feet.  It will also help spread the weight better than feet if somebody stands on the box.

Dylan

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 05:49:58 AM »

Hmm, is it elevated off the ground any? I would think if it was flush on the ground it would be more muffled. So maybe if you have some little legs on the bottom it would give it some deeper umph.
www.palmetronics.com
BitCoin accepted.

Gordonjcp

• This person is dangerously insane.
    • http://www.nekosynth.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 09:57:59 AM »

Use it to trigger a nice resonant lowpass filter - something like a TR808 kick circuit.  Leave it just a touch off oscillating, though, unless you want that Boooooooom like an 808 sound ;-)
If at first you don't succeed, stick it through a fuzzbox.

samspike

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 02:16:48 PM »

Hmm, is it elevated off the ground any? I would think if it was flush on the ground it would be more muffled. So maybe if you have some little legs on the bottom it would give it some deeper umph.

Just seen the reply - years later.  Great idea.  I will try rubber feet. Haven't actually used it for some time.