Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Which keyboards used the YM3812  (Read 8335 times)

The iBookGuy

Which keyboards used the YM3812
« on: July 06, 2015, 10:50:55 PM »

I'm doing some research for an upcoming documentary I'm working on about old-school sound & music.  I have found that some of the Yamaha keyboards used the YM3812 sound chip, just like was found in the original Adlib and Soundblaster cards.  I would like to find out exactly which keyboards had this chip, and possibly a list of keyboards that had very similar chips.   All of my google-searching has lead me here since I guess the only other people interested in old-school keyboards are circuit-benders.

My current list includes:
Yamaha PSR-11
Yamaha PSR-12
Yamaha PSR-31
Yamaha PSR-32
Yamaha PSS-460

Possibly the PSS-560/PSS570 (I found conflicting info on these)

Part of the reason I want this list is to tell the viewer.  But also part of the reason is because I want to purchase one of these from ebay to demonstrate it.  But these are apparently hard to find.  And I want to find the absolute BEST keyboard I can find, based on this chip.  So preferably I would want one with full-sized keys and 5 octaves.   So right now, the only one on the list is the PSR-31 and 32.   I'm hoping to find some more, maybe something better.

Also, I looked at the user manual on the PSR-31 and it shows to have a port on the back for an "expression pedal" and said something about controlling the volume.  Obviously, I'd much prefer a sustain pedal.  I don't suppose that is what they really meant?

iwillbeacircuitbender

• Way to much time on his hands
Re: Which keyboards used the YM3812
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 11:39:54 AM »

The PSS 170, 270, and PSR-6 used the OPLL chip, which is a cut down OPL2 core. But very similar to the Sound Blaster, just much more primitive sounding