Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: alternatives to LTC1799 - clocks with CV in  (Read 7710 times)

wax+wire

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
alternatives to LTC1799 - clocks with CV in
« on: July 30, 2015, 11:59:49 AM »

does anyone use things other than an LTC1799 as a replacement clock for their keyboards (casios in particular)? i'm keen to add a lfo input to create a vibrato effect on my pitch, but from what i gather an LTC doesn't take control voltage input.  while i've done it with LDR/vactrol setups in series with the resistor setting the frequency, it isn't really ideal.

Has anyone used 74HCT4046 or a similar chip as an alternative clock source for a crystal in a casio type keyboard?

g8tr1522

Re: alternatives to LTC1799 - clocks with CV in
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 07:35:18 PM »

I'm also looking for an alternative oscillator. Something that can go higher than 33MHz.

But for the CV in, if you're using this clock replacement circuit :
 http://www.getlofi.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/2_LTC_Instructions.jpg
Then you would just replace the pot with some sort of transistor circuit that would behave like a voltage-controlled resistor. I'd give more details, but I'm still learning transistors myself. You could use a BJT or MOSFET though.

g8tr1522

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 07:40:07 PM »

According to this stack exchange post: http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/158281/why-are-mosfets-better-than-bjts-in-application-of-voltage-controlled-resistor
JFETs are best for implementing voltage controlled resistors (VCRs).

Here's a Vishay paper on using JFETs as VCRs.
http://www.vishay.com/docs/70598/70598.pdf

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 10:30:14 PM »

I'm also looking for an alternative oscillator. Something that can go higher than 33MHz.

linear do another LTC that runs at higher frequencies. Its on the linear site, but i can't remember what it is.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

davelybob

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 06:39:57 PM »

linear do another LTC that runs at higher frequencies. Its on the linear site, but i can't remember what it is.

LTC6905.  17 MHz to 170 MHz, the 1799 is 1 KHz to 33 MHz.  Figured that one out with Getlofi, I use his 1799s since I'm stateside.  Put a 1799 in a little toddler-friendly mp3 player, guess I fucked up the original crystal so I couldn't make it switchable, so I'm stuck with it playing the songs slow all the time, and since USB is clocked at 48MHz, I can't swap out the files either.  He was going to do up a couple on his boards for me, but that was like probably a year ago now, I should really touch base with him, the ball is probably in my court.

As far as CV on an LTC1799, the vtl5c3 I've got rigged up to my re-clocked Yamaha REX-50 is lots of fun with a sequencer.  The response time I'm sure isn't what a lot of people would hope, hella glide on that, but it can still do some wacky shit.