Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: VSS-30 advice  (Read 6627 times)

insch

VSS-30 advice
« on: October 14, 2015, 08:32:46 PM »

I'd appreciate some advice on using the VSS-30. I just bought one and I'm trying to work out if it will work for me.

I'm finishing work on a long-term project and wanted to add some lo-fi textures on a few pieces. I tried doing some sampling from a piece I've been working on - singling out voice and trumpet. But I get significant pops at the end of every sample I make on the VSS-30 in this way. I am using the sample-in of the keyboard with a phono to jack cable. I am wondering if there is something wrong with my actual keyboard or I'm just hitting limitations? Is there a way round this issue?

Thanks in advance  :)

Telkmx

Re: VSS-30 advice
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 12:35:57 PM »

Up: I have the same problem.
Most of the times it doesnt even get completely to the end.
Not sure if there is an internal battery or the ram is faulty.
but most of the times it's impossible to get to the full 2 sec of sampling time.
It's better when i power it up but after 2 or 3 try it start being messy and sampling whatever that is triggered at random time from 1 to 200 seconds after i pressed the sampling time.
And it's the same from the internal mic or via external.

Any advice ?
Should i change the ram or some sort of battery ?

Vanx

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 08:55:19 AM »

Hello, sorry for re-upping this thread!

I've got a VSS30 and it seems fully working... I suspected the RAM chip, but for example "recording and playback" (of performance) works, and sampling works... but! It has an high volume sampling threshold, I need to shout really near the grille, and it wants high volume also using the RCA input. Even when shouting, is not easy to even make it record the sample full length.

Who had the same issues? Could still be the ram chip? I first excluded this because it can actually store informations on that chip, but this high threshold seems strange because is bot for internal microphone and RCA input.

Thanks in advance!

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 12:56:22 AM »

possibly a dodgy opamp at IC3. Its the only likely component in line with both the inputs.

Schematic on page 3 and 4 here http://www.horacewimp.com/Yamaha_VSS30_Service.pdf
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

Vanx

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 01:08:37 PM »

possibly a dodgy opamp at IC3. Its the only likely component in line with both the inputs.

Schematic on page 3 and 4 here http://www.horacewimp.com/Yamaha_VSS30_Service.pdf

Thanks so much! Yes, I had a look at the schematics, it is a cheap component in case I have to swap it.
I thought it would be: it works, or not, but at this point good to know that opamp could get unreliable, I should start measuring voltages