Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Highly Liquid UMR2 now open source  (Read 6524 times)

pinsoir

Highly Liquid UMR2 now open source
« on: June 12, 2017, 03:52:53 PM »

New poster here. Like many folks I was disappointed that the UMR2 was no longer being produced and was sold out from... well everywhere. I managed to buy one from someone recently for a project and when i went to the Highly Liquid site, lo and behold, the UMR2 is now open source with links to a CircuitHub build thingy: https://circuithub.com/projects/CodeandCopper1/UMR

Great news. But to make it worthwhile it looks like a groupbuy is necessary -  a single board costs about $450. But 20 boards cost $40 each, 50 cost $20, and 100 boards cost only $13 each.

Great news, frankly.

Thrash

Re: Highly Liquid UMR2 now open source
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 01:38:54 PM »

Hello Pinsoir.

I am new to the forum. I actually came across the forum as I was searching for the UMR2 ordering info in a google search. I have been scratching my head about what do do inregards to ordering the UMR2. I have been tossing around the idea of investing in a bulk order of the boards and selling them via eBay/reverb/etc. I am curious as to whether or not you have ordered them and if so how are they functioning.

Thank you.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 02:01:40 PM »

It's probably be an idea to click on 'view licence' and check out what you're actually able to do with this project.

You can organise a group buy, but I don't think the Creative Commons licence gives you free reign to just get a load of boards made and sell them You would very quickly find yourself on the end of a cease and desist letter from Highly Liquid.

Having said that, they seem to be available from this company in japan http://www.pharmasonic.jp/umr2_e.htm
Whether or not they are actually licenced i don't know.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

boneless

• Way to much time on his hands
    • Neal Beard and his Machines
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 07:05:01 PM »

Apologies if i'm being dumb-ass, but the first UMRs were thru-hole and came with a pre chip-flashed– I put them in a few keyboards.

I know nothing about the coding world (!!!!) but wondered UMR's could be made like that from the open source code, negating the SMT-getting-boards-made-up side of things?