Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Newbie with Yamaha PSR-27  (Read 5536 times)

Zilch.

Newbie with Yamaha PSR-27
« on: August 16, 2017, 12:57:39 AM »

Hi Guys, I just learned about the concept of circuitbending yesterday, became extremely interested as i love vintage analog synths and distortion and did a little research and I learned due to some chips some things are not bendable.

I purchased a Yamaha psr 27 today and also did some research on it prior and learned that models like the psr 27, 37, 8 and so forth can be bent but its best to stay away from anything but the smd chip or it could potentially crash.

Being said I just wanted to be only messing with that chip, would it be possible that i'd be able to add a pitch bend by using per say thermal wire for a pitch bend, an LFO switch with a knob for speed rates, 3 vco options to change the wave signals from saw/triangle and sine as well as a vcf option for low pass and high pass and maybe also a phaser knob?

I have a friend who is an electrical engineer who is willing to help me with building this but i just need if its possible to do it with this particular model.

If you would care to spread knowledge i'd be completely greatful and extremely appreciative and would love to start contributing to this community as well. Thanks.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: Newbie with Yamaha PSR-27
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 03:13:43 AM »

I think you might be coming at this from the wrong direction. With a machine like this you can't just decide what you want to do and then try and make it do it. Its more the case that you'll have to probe the circuit to see what might be possible and what the machine will allow you to do.

What is "a thermal wire for pitch bend"?

I think you might be trying run before you can walk, and do far too much with a machine that really isn't going to let you do it.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

Zilch.

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 04:49:34 AM »

I think you might be coming at this from the wrong direction. With a machine like this you can't just decide what you want to do and then try and make it do it. Its more the case that you'll have to probe the circuit to see what might be possible and what the machine will allow you to do.

What is "a thermal wire for pitch bend"?

I think you might be trying run before you can walk, and do far too much with a machine that really isn't going to let you do it.

Yea, I definitely am trying to run before i can walk, i was going to screw around with a couple more cheaper pianos before getting to that one i just got because i realized i like it a lot on its own especially with the dual voice and feature and i wouldn't want to ruin it.

I got the pitch bend idea from this video if you care to watch, its circuitbend of a yamaha psr-22 where the bender was trying to create a pitch bend with a couple wire i think i misinterpreted what was actually making the pitch bend

https://youtu.be/HO8B6YeU4FQ?t=3m3s

also, what do you mean by probing a circuit?

daneelolivaw

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 10:03:15 PM »

Probing a circuit is the starting point of circuit bending. You take your fingers, lick them and start touching the circuit to see if something happens. You can do this also with other instruments such as wire, scredrivers etc. once you find some nice reaction from your toy, you can decide how to fix that and make it a feature: you can put a potentiometer, switches and so on...