Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Newbie with Omnichord OM-84  (Read 5113 times)

Pizzacheesedripfont

Newbie with Omnichord OM-84
« on: August 22, 2017, 05:16:32 PM »

So I started this bend awhile ago, and got a little discouraged. I'm pretty new to circuitbending and my experience with electrical components is limited to what I've learned through bending. I know the basics but that's about it (and that will become apparent when you see the photos, I'm sure)
TLDR; I'm new

http://imgur.com/WFS2seh

So, I have been playing the Omnichord OM-84 for awhile and I thought it would be easier to compose melodies on the toy if I had control over the individual notes on a more precise level instead of just using the strum bar.

http://imgur.com/2IgDC39

So I found which points on the board made the individual note noises (in blue) but also found that they only produced the noises when they were patched to the two above (red) and ONLY those two.

I did a little research and couldn't really find an eloquent way to search for "something that allows one to connect multiple wires to one point without looking like a complete cluster". Needless to say I did not find anything, so I decided to splice some of the wires together so there were only about 4 wires total connected to the two points (opposed to 16).

So I connect four of the points with with their individual momentary switches and test them and they all work properly, so I get at it and finished connecting all of them. Well, now only about three work.

I'm not quite sure what to do at this point, I've tried to find help from others that have bent Omnichords but that's not much help because either they haven't bent the OM-84 so don't really know or are selling them (Folktech). I'd like to get this little guy back up and running because I really like making music with it, but I'm also quite interested in finishing this small bend. Where should I begin troubleshooting?

wax+wire

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
Re: Newbie with Omnichord OM-84
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 11:32:54 PM »

Omnichords are a bit more than a toy.  I personally wouldn't alter that part of the instrument, as that is kind of what makes them so cool. And they are worth a pretty penny unaltered! I'd be more interested in altering the sound/timbre rather than the 'interface'.  Otherwise you may as well have a keyboard