Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: My first bent instrument  (Read 6854 times)

BonkknoB

• Soundcloud
My first bent instrument
« on: August 21, 2018, 05:20:59 AM »

I'm calling it the Bananefeuer osx.

This is a first act electronic drum toy instrument I picked up for 2$ at goodwill. Being my first completed project, I'm thrilled with how it turned out. I found several points that essentially did the same thing and gave me a 1 to x bend, as well as a distortion connection, and while having a blast  using alligator clip jumpers to test all of these points, I just decided it was begging for a patch bay, but I'm too broke and impatient to order all of the banana cables and jacks, so, while picturing a pile of flaming bananas, i got myself bolts and nuts and washers and automotive wire and set this thing up for touch/ clip jumpers, with two resistors, a 5k pot, a capacitor, and a transistor having their own designated bolts. I also put in a battery disconnect switch because the thing goes into periodic fits of turning itself on, refusing to be off. I obstructed one button, which no longer works, and I drilled too many holes... so... not the best thought out, but I love this thing. It does crazy oscillations and space noises, I've had it go into crazy stuttery randomness seizures...

Aside from the distortion, I couldn't find any points that altered the clock, or the drum sounds, or the demo sounds, or the recording/loop function... that being said, the oscillations it produces can kind of... filter all the other sound coming from this thing...

In the first place, this thing had an audio input jack, which was cool, and now, I've had some limited success using it as an fx pedal, and more success jamming with music played through the input.

Anyway, I wanted to share, because I'm really really stoked on how this turned out, and on circuit bending in general. I don't know that I could have picked a better instrument to start with, despite dealing with smd points and not finding any of the bends I had hoped for or half-expected. Heres hoping for some measure of longevity out of this thing, but I know what I've done is probably killing that chip.

I'm going to try and get a demo video up as soon as I can.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 05:37:18 AM by BonkknoB »

BonkknoB

• Soundcloud
Re: My first bent instrument
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 12:12:56 AM »

Steve DrGwon

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 09:15:11 PM »

It sounds great!! Good work!! 8)

BonkknoB

• Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 04:46:14 AM »

It sounds great!! Good work!! 8)

Thank you! I've been sampling it a lot, and making some interesting stuff.