Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Bend Points Active Even When Not Physically Touching  (Read 5727 times)

southboundpachyderm

Bend Points Active Even When Not Physically Touching
« on: January 15, 2020, 08:23:37 AM »

I found an interesting bend in a children's toy, and then realized that it still works even when the leads are just close to each other, but not physically touching. In fact, the sound is a bit different that way from when it's a physical connection. Has anyone run into something like this? I have no idea what could be causing it. Some kind of electromagnetic interference, maybe?

It creates a great sound, though, so I'm trying to figure out how to include it in the project and be able to control it in a more predictable way. Since I can't use a toggle (the two bend points wouldn't be far enough away), I was thinking I could use a couple of RCA jacks with some distance between them and just patch it, although I'm not sure that would work. Is there a better way to handle this kind of thing?

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: Bend Points Active Even When Not Physically Touching
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 02:51:29 AM »

It'd possibly work with just touch contacts. Wire the bend points to a couple of bolts or similar and see what happens when you touch one or both of them with your fingers
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

southboundpachyderm

Re: Bend Points Active Even When Not Physically Touching
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 10:42:03 AM »

The effect actually goes away completely when I touch the points with my fingers. It seems to be reduced even when my hands are nearby.