Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: please help the new guy!  (Read 8641 times)

egg

please help the new guy!
« on: December 12, 2006, 04:54:26 PM »

hey guys im totally new to this circuit bending thing so please forgive me if the things im about to ask are really basic! any help you can offer would be awesome.

basically im a dj and have been playing for many years now, i basically want to try and include some live elements in my sets and am thinking about a moded speak & spell. the thing im having trouble gettin my head round is how i could actually use it live.

ok here goes!

1...is it possible to just simply plug it into my dj mixer (on phonos either into one of the channels or using the effects send/return)? and thinking of that if i were to use it in the effects send/return from my mixer cud i use it as an effects unit to effect the track im playing rather than just sounds produced on the s&s itself? im guessing it would need 2 outputs to make it stereo rather than the modified single headfone socket on the s&s?

2...being a dj a big part of what i do involves changing the speed of tracks so that they can be mixed together, do any of the s&s available from here have that functionality? (i have read pretty much everything on this site and got very confused!)

3...if anyone uses one of these or similar live id be inerested to know how you do it, such as connecting equipment together etc

i know thats a lot to ask but your help really is appreciated

cheers
egg

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: please help the new guy!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 05:23:21 PM »

1- yeah, you can plug a modded S&S straight into a line level channel on a mixer. Most modded S&S machines have a single mono jack output but theres no reason why you couldn't split the signal into 2 X mono for a stereo mixer input with a Y cable. S&S machines cannot be used as effects units to effect other signals, you can only use the internal sounds.

2- Virtually every modded S&S machine will have a pitch control that not only takes the pitch up and down but does so by making the machine run faster or slower. This means its entirely possible to create a loop with a loop switch and then sync it in time with a record using the pitch controls. It might take a bit of practice but its possible.

3- i think most people use kit like S&S machines live in a more random manner rather than trying to sync things up i.e, bursts of glitching or spot effects. Apparently when Simon Posford from Twisted Records plays a Hallucinogen In Dub set with a circuitbenders Speak&Spell they have a 'Speak&Spell face pulling session'. I'm not entirely sure what that means but it sounds like a laugh ;D
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

egg

Re: please help the new guy!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 06:46:27 PM »

thanks so much for your help, think its guna be a fun time when i get my hands on one! i guess it would be possible to link drum machines up in the same kinda way then?