Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Casio rz 1  (Read 40907 times)

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: Casio rz 1
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 02:28:02 AM »

surely it can't play all the sampled sounds at once. Isn't each sample channel monophonic so you could only play a maximum of two samples at any one time?

I'd suggest it might be a problem with the button switching. Does the RZ output midi when you hit a pad? If so, how many midi notes does it output when you hit one sample pad?
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

aeldritch

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 09:49:04 PM »

Hi!
Play one after the other.

Thanks!

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 10:43:01 PM »

I think if you're going to get any help here you're going to have to post exact details of exactly whats happening with your RZ as i'm still a little in the dark here.

You turn it on and it plays each sample one after the other for no apparent reason, or when you hit any sample pad it pays each sound one after the other, or something entirely different?

Are you saying that when you turn it on again all the samples are spliced together into one sample?

aeldritch

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2009, 04:00:26 PM »

Hi!!

Are you saying that when you turn it on again all the samples are spliced together into one sample?

Exactly, that's happens!               
I've replaced the battery and the problem still persists.

Regards!

aeldritch

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2010, 09:17:08 PM »

Hi!

does anybody have a schematic diagram for rz1?  :'(

Thanks!

heat00hunter

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2010, 07:31:08 PM »

Yeah of course:

Thanks to EXFADE: http://www.exfade.org/details5.html

Skorn

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2010, 03:19:26 PM »

Hey, kind of related to this topic.
I own a casio RZ-1, but not the manual, bending it won't be a problem, but getting to work with it will.
I understand how to create patterns, record patterns, make songs etc.
But I have no clue, as how the sampler should work (which is the reason I bought it)
There is a button that says sampler, or sample.. when I press it, nothing changes really, I have no idea if it's broken and I'm working correctly or if im doing something wrong.
If it appears the sample function does not work the guy who sold it to me will be in serious trouble, saying everything worked perfectly.
Thanks in advance, if you have any questions regarding my question, feel free to ask ofcourse, I hope I clarified the problem I'm experiencing.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2010, 03:44:30 PM »

Don't you press the sample button and one of the sample pads at the same time to arm the sampling, and then the sampling is triggered when you feed a sound into it? If you hold sample and either two, or four sample pads at the same time you can have two samples of double the time, or one sample of quadruple the time.

Bear in mind that the RZ1 input and output jacks are very prone to breaking so that might be the problem.

This is all off the top of my head so it might not be 100% correct.

LoneStar81

• Way to much time on his hands
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2010, 11:00:28 PM »

Hai

Well to put the ROM/RAM issue straight: let's look again at the pic on the first side of this thread.
Note: part names here are the board markings. Component names might differ, albeit identical in function.

5 big chips there:

The two leftmost ones: HN613256 = 256kbit (8bit x 32k) Mask ROM. Those contain the ROM samples. You can replace them by standard 27Cxxx CMOS ones, but you'll have to adapt the pinout.

The two at the bottom right: D4364C-15L =  64kbit (8bit x 8k) Static RAM. Those two are for the samples.

The top left one: µPD23C128E-031 = 128kbit (8bit x 16k) Mask ROM. This is the operating system of the machine. Handle with care ;) The actual component on my unit is a 27128 NMOS EPROM.

The actual system/pattern RAM is of the same type as the sample RAMs and located further right on the board, below the NEC D7811G chip which appears to be the cpu of this lovely microcomputer system. :)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 11:08:22 PM by LoneStar81 »

Gordonjcp

• http://www.nekosynth.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2010, 11:11:35 PM »

Fantastic! Someone that comes along to the local radio and electronics club has been asking me about sample memory and replacing ROMS in an RZ-1.  I know he reads this site too, so that's that one answered.  Have some karma.
If at first you don't succeed, stick it through a fuzzbox.

LoneStar81

• Way to much time on his hands
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2010, 06:13:09 PM »

Fantastic! Someone that comes along to the local radio and electronics club has been asking me about sample memory and replacing ROMS in an RZ-1.  I know he reads this site too, so that's that one answered.  Have some karma.

My pleasure! Funnily enough, my karma dropped since the last time I looked. I'm pretty sure it wasn't you misclicking ;)

peterhodge877

• http://www.ferrari-restoration.com/
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2012, 09:38:22 PM »

Hello, I have a RZ1, whenever I turn on, all the samples are linked into one.
What is the problem (battery)?
Greetings.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2012, 12:09:57 AM »

Doesn't sound like it. Problems with the keyboard decoding seem to be pretty common with the RZ1, maybe it thinks you have all four sample keys held down all the time.

Does the RZ output midi from the drum pads? If so you should probably check that the sample pads are actually putting out different midi notes when you hit them.
Pages: 1 [2]