Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: V-tech Alphabet Desk  (Read 26409 times)

iqoruvuc

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
V-tech Alphabet Desk
« on: March 28, 2007, 06:18:15 PM »

I recently found one of these in a carboot sale.  There are schematics on the sailormouth site though the circuit board on mine was different.  Anyway I fried mine; it only cosy me a few pence and I was not that bowled over by what I found so I wasn't very careful.  Apart from a couple of distortions (which made the voice quite funny) most of the bends just caused it to re-trigger sounds really fast, although there were two glitches which were funny too, although they produced the same results each time. 

Here is a board scan with some points marker penned on, although a couple won't do anything at all since I was also marking where certain components were.   Basically you need to use (+) connection for the speaker and connect it to any of the solderpoints marked in black.  The two crosses are glitches.

Signal:Noise

• Closer to the meat
Re: V-tech Alphabet Desk
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 10:31:21 PM »

Hmm, i bent a vetech letter fun pc recently and that was amazing, seriously wierd noises and drones.

ne7

• ne7 web
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 10:55:47 PM »

i bent one of these - they are AMAZING :) - just bring the battery power down a bit with a 1k pot and u have some super crashes hehe and weird loops... also if u ever think u have fried it - remove the resistor in the plastic shielding (just bypass it) and it'll work fine again heh
ne7/triad
------------------
http://ne7.untergrund.net

iqoruvuc

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 09:08:07 AM »

Hi - I replaced the resistor all certain that I hadn't fried it but it didn't work again.  I was using a DC power supply and turning the voltage down didn't do anything exciting, however a 1K pot may have created better results but I never got that far before I broke it ;)

Did you have the same version as this?  If you have a look on the squarewave website he appears to have bent the a desk that sounded like the one I had http://thesquarewaveparade.com/litphabet-dek.html 

It only cost me 50p, had no battery cover, so I was abit heavy-handed with it!  I have another one anyway, so I will open that one up and see I have any more luck. :)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 12:48:01 PM by iqoruvuc »

ne7

• ne7 web
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 08:54:55 AM »

ah :) my one is read and says "little phonics" under the alphabet desk writing...
hrm - have you tried shifting the + connector from the battery around the board? i found this worked on another vtech machine that blew up :)
ne7/triad
------------------
http://ne7.untergrund.net

iqoruvuc

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 03:34:54 PM »

I opened up the other alphabet desk I have last night and had a play-around inside.  Bizarrely the circuit borad is exactly the same but it behaves completely different. 

Some of the bends that worked on the other one have absolutely no effect whatsoever, I can't get the same excorcist-like distortion the other one did, this one glitches much more,  and hardly does the trigger-repeat thing which was pretty much all my other on did.  I have only tried connecting points from the speakers (+) side so far, but I am surprised it behaves so differently.  Also doesn't seem to respond to power crash either. Strange.

damientheomen

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 06:11:14 PM »

One of my first bendz and probably one of the most minamilist.

I only managed to find one bend but it's really good. It's just spewz forwardz a mix of letterz, numberz and soundz like a bat outta hell.

Meatloaf would be proud.

iqoruvuc

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 08:52:03 AM »

yes this does that too   :)

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 03:01:17 PM »

My g/f's just bought a little smart alphabet desk for me to mod, by the sounds of it, it''ll be a beast.

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 09:13:37 PM »

I got bored, I wired up my little smart letter fun pc (which i'm guessing is pretty close to teh alphabet desk) to my rx17.

here's what it sounds like

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=549081&songID=5191312

AttDestroyers

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 03:28:27 AM »

that's awesome, I like it! My Vtech "talking whiz kid plus" sounds very similar.

mcguinty

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2007, 06:07:30 AM »

I actually got the same one. It even has the same serial number. I have messed around for a long time in but I can only get cycles of noises already on it. how do I get the great distortions I that guy made. This is actually the first time I have circuit bent so don't flame.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2007, 04:39:11 PM »

This is actually the first time I have circuit bent so don't flame.

Anyone getting involved in flame wars on this board will suddenly find themselves without an account.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

iqoruvuc

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2007, 07:01:31 PM »

I have messed around for a long time in but I can only get cycles of noises already on it. how do I get the great distortions I that guy made.

Are talking about the alphabet desk?  I only cycles on mine and a few glitches nothing as interesting as V-tech PC  :(

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2007, 08:10:13 PM »

Yeah, I#m quite dissapointed with teh alphabet desk, only a couple of useable bends.
Pages: [1] 2