Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: CASIO SK-1 DB-9 question  (Read 9110 times)

radiopowwow

CASIO SK-1 DB-9 question
« on: May 24, 2007, 01:17:56 PM »

So I have been thinking about this and I have seen it done on various applications but I was never shown how exactly it works.

What I want to do is wire a DB-9 pin connector to the IC on my casio SK-1, and then control it using an Atari joystick.

In theory, I figured that when the joystick was moved, it would create a connection and change the sound.

Is this true? And is this the correct way to do it?

Thanks for looking!

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: CASIO SK-1 DB-9 question
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 03:40:16 AM »

well i've never done it myself but those old atari 2600 joysticks just use microswitches with a common ground unless i'm very much mistaken.
Theres a wiring diagram here http://www.technick.net/public/code/cp_dpage.php?aiocp_dp=pinconjoy_atari_2600

I'd imagine that if you connect the joystick ground to the SK ground you can then connect the up, down, left, right and button pins to other points on the bendable SK chips
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

gmeredith

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 03:49:19 AM »

Some of the older joysticks had pots for variable axis control, not switches - this might do well for use in bending, such as pitch bend control or the like.

Cheers, Graham

computer at sea

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 02:58:30 PM »

It's pretty easy.  You'll have to find a single point that connects to five bends. 
Looking at the plug coming from the joystick, that wire wants to go to the 2nd pin in from the left on the bottom for all atari compatible joysticks.  the other points go to the farthest right on the bottom and the four rightmost pins on top.  Conversely, you can remove the Sk-1's speaker, take the bottom off the joystick and solder directly to the points, forgoing the DB-9 as I've done here:

particularly on an sk-1, is if you chose your bends correctly you can get some interesting combinations.  The bends you have wired to N, S, E, W, and the button can be combined in many cases.  So diagonally up to the right produces a bend that is neither N nor E but sort of a combination of the two.  This gives you potentially 17 different bends off the one joystick.