Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Loops and looping  (Read 13344 times)

iqoruvuc

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
Loops and looping
« on: February 24, 2006, 05:32:04 PM »

Hi - anyone got any good tips on getting things to loop?  Apart from the Speaks and Spells etc I haven't had much luck so far.  It could just be the types of keyboards I have been working on, like the Casio SA-5 or I might be looking in completely the wrong place.  I read elsewhere on the net to trace the speaker back to a capacitor, then solder a wire to the side of the capacitor that was not connected to the speaker and then feed this back to the ROM chip.  This has, as of yet, not worked once, with or without attenuating the voltage, though it could be just be my crappy choice of keyboards.  Does it work better on older types of keyboards, or at least keyboards that use a synthesis other than PCM? 

I am working on a Yamaha PSS-12 at the moment and the above method does little more than crashing it.  I would also like to point out that the PSS-12 doesn't seem to be a great one to bend despite finding a couple of glitches.

Any ideas appreciated

djsynchro

Re: Loops and looping
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 11:43:37 PM »

http://www.hollis.co.uk/john/bent/

Something about routing the audio output back to the control circuitry.
Sounds interesting. You probably need to be very careful not to route the full signal that goes to the SPEAKER to the chips though, that might fry them? Resistor sounds like a good idea when trying to find bends this way.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 04:23:29 PM »

i've never had that technique work, ever.
Although that could mean that i've been either doing it wrong or using the wrong machines.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

iqoruvuc

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 09:12:26 AM »

I am glad it isn't just me then!

Pehr

• Loxodrom
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 05:19:38 PM »

Sometimes, when I "deep crash" my Casio SA-10 (short pin 9 &10), I get really really cool loops 8) It should work on the Sa-5 too :)

Transformer

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 04:40:15 PM »

Yea had that before when experimenting with Casio SA-series.  From time to time you can have really
cool loops but mostly with a lot of noise; sometimes when touching the body contacts from that same glitchpoint the noise gets away ;)

About looping: A managed to do this with the speak series and a Furby so far.  Just try with a pushbutton and switch when you find a point that changes the sound into a glitch for example.

I've also heard that theory to trace back the electrolyc cap around the speakerarea... but it didn't work so far