Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Furby : pitched or fried ?  (Read 17244 times)

haarp

Furby : pitched or fried ?
« on: August 04, 2007, 09:09:04 AM »

hi everyone

another one noobish question with my bad english

I already fried 3 furbies (luckily found in a flea market for 2€) by poking them anywhere
Now the last one is prepared to be bend ... or fry but I'd like to avoid that
I found different glitches and short loops but no pitch control :( I hadn't search so much out of the central and sound chips because I fried others by doing that)
Maybe you read my previous posts so you understood that I'm a real noob in electronic and I recently started circuit bending
So please, can you help me to find this pitch control with board scan or explanations

ps: there's a crystal oscillator near the sound chips, which is its use ?

beatpoet

Re: Furby : pitched or fried ?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 12:39:51 AM »

Check out these links for furby bending tips:
http://kenholloway.blogspot.com/2007/02/very-very-simple-guide-to-furby-circuit.html
http://kenholloway.blogspot.com/2007/03/furby-circuit-bending-guide-part-2.html

I haven't opened one up myself, but these guides should be a good place to start...

haarp

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 08:09:48 AM »

thanks for your contribution but I already read these tutorials, they helped me to start but didn't tell anything about pitch control,
I dug the web for a while to find this bend but I can't find anything but pictures of few people who find a pitch, no boards scan

on the other hand I found this interesting pages
http://mechatronics.mech.northwestern.edu/design_ref/other/Furby_schematics.html
it doesn't help me to find my fu****'pitch ... maybe it will help someone of you ?

the_zombiest

• Kicks like the DADDY!
    • The Zombiest's Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 11:24:50 AM »

the processor clock in a furby is controlled by a ceramic resonator. The only way to pitch these that I know of is to replace the ceramic res with an external oscillator. check this page for further info on oscillators.
Hope this helps.

haarp

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 11:18:00 AM »

ok, I'll try to build an osc like these, many thanks for your help

tinsolder

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 10:07:50 AM »

looks like a older post but so are the furbies. i bent a couple of them, also made a furbie-sequencer with 2 simultaneously working furbies. but never made a pitch-mod possible. not even with a ltc1799 oscillator. maybe anybody had more luck ?  i still wish i could them be working without the robotic stuff but that seems rather impossible without true knowledge of electronics. thanks for any hints.

Bogus Noise

• Kicks like the DADDY!
    • Bogus Noise Website
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 05:07:23 PM »

looks like a older post but so are the furbies. i bent a couple of them, also made a furbie-sequencer with 2 simultaneously working furbies. but never made a pitch-mod possible. not even with a ltc1799 oscillator. maybe anybody had more luck ?  i still wish i could them be working without the robotic stuff but that seems rather impossible without true knowledge of electronics. thanks for any hints.
To turn the robotic stuff off, couldn't you just remove the wires to the motors? You could also connect all the ground wires together, and then put a switch in between the ground wires and a point on the Furby where the wires used to connect, then you can switch them on and off at will.

tinsolder

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 05:59:19 PM »

I thought too that's that easy, but it needs to start some routines which are done by all these gears, hidden switches and some lightpulses. It' s a funny easy bendable toy but also kind of tricky. Especially for pitch bending. I guess it's one of these impossible tasks to pitch them up/down.

Bogus Noise

• Kicks like the DADDY!
    • Bogus Noise Website
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 05:20:54 AM »

Hmmm, yeah I didn't know about that, could be a bit tricky!

Haven't any thoughts on pitch as my Furbies are still on top of a set of shelves, looking down at me in a furless, shocked manner.

tinsolder

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 12:49:41 PM »

They can look really awfull: eyes and beak half open. The most drugged toy ever. Maybe i start a new thread at the show-off page, after i finished my newest furb.