Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: oscillators and looping a sound  (Read 10467 times)

Tokyo Witch

oscillators and looping a sound
« on: October 31, 2007, 03:37:12 PM »

Hi,

I've only just started my first project last night and it seems to be going quite well.  The project I'm working on is a toy electric guitar with buttons that produce sounds.  I'm managed to change the sound with two pots one to speed it up and one slows it down. It sounds great.

I have a question about an aditional bend I'm trying out.  at the moment when I push the button it plays the sound once and then I can alter it.  What I want it to do is loop the sound.  I don't mind if the actual loop isn't from the begining of the sample I just think it would sound better if I could get a sustained sound and then speed it up and slow it down.

What I did do was replace the push button with a switch however I think I will need some form of oscillating ciruit connected to the switch so it would turn it on and off continuously.  Does anyone know how I can do that?

There is nothing in reed ghazala's book on oscillators and whether they would fry a circuit.  I suppose I could just buy one and see what happens but I don't want to buy one and have nothing happen :)

Thanks,

the_zombiest

• Kicks like the DADDY!
    • The Zombiest's Youtube Channel
Re: oscillators and looping a sound
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 12:12:26 AM »

You can use a simple astable 555 circuit such as this one to trigger switches: http://www.mikmo.dk/cblfo.html
mad easy.

untune

• Way to much time on his hands
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 12:59:35 AM »

Can this LFO circuit be used on a keyboard to vary the sound a little?

wiredtoygeek

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 07:12:29 PM »

hmmmmm...The stuff I'm bening doesn't seem to have a 555 on the board. Can I add one to the circuit board?

computer at sea

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 04:53:04 PM »

hmmmmm...The stuff I'm bening doesn't seem to have a 555 on the board. Can I add one to the circuit board?

Yeah.  Follow the link given above to build your own oscillator with a 555 chip and a small handful of other parts. 

goldenbaby

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 04:56:28 AM »

Does a 555 circuit like this also work to sample a sound....well, not really sample, but so that while a circuit is glitching out, I can lock it into a trance with the flick of a switch or turn of a pot?

computer at sea

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 05:43:41 PM »

Hmmm.... kind of.  It can loop some glitches, particularly ones that connect to the ground of the circuit.