Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: EML(ish) semi modular monosynth thingy!!  (Read 9828 times)

oldmasterjds

EML(ish) semi modular monosynth thingy!!
« on: November 28, 2007, 03:00:42 PM »

Hi guys
I bought this on Ebay about a year ago. Its a pretty rough sounding beastie but that may be cos I'm not really experienced with analogue synthesis and haven't given it the time and attention yet?!
Its Dual Vco and some of the boards are badged EML. Although the construction is very good (must have been put together by a professional) it's clearly been hand made as the detail is all hand written/drawn with black marker...
Whaddya reckon?
John
Check out this pic...

« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 03:39:13 PM by oldmasterjds »

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: EML(ish) semi modular monosynth thingy!!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 04:24:10 PM »

Jayzus christ, i want one! how much did you pay for that if you don't mind me asking?

It certainly looks like an EML but an EML possibly made from parts of an Electrocomp 200

Maybe you've got yourself some kind of prototype there as it looks like an EML front panel but i've never seen that particular synth before.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

oldmasterjds

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 04:36:19 PM »

Well i probably overspent to be honest(?) £350 but i was intrigued and interested, and well i'm probably a mug as well but it was differant to anything i'd seen so i thought i'd take a chance - Christmas bonus didn't go far and girlfriend kicked my arse.....again!
Wish i knew a bit more about some of the connection options on it. For instance i'm not sure what the 3 inputs in each top corner are for?!

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 05:14:55 PM »

For instance i'm not sure what the 3 inputs in each top corner are for?!

you could probably get an idea with a multimeter, if you test what voltages might be present at those sockets, although it might just be a patching multiple i.e. the three sockets are connected together internally so you can split and / or combine a signal.

oldmasterjds

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 05:26:40 PM »

Okay, so presuming i get a multimeter the voltage will be differant depending on what the socket is for?
I shall try and get one for the weekend and see what i can work out!
Thanks
John

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 05:59:23 PM »

well, ideally you should have an oscilloscope for this kind of thing but theres a couple of logical tests you can do. For a start, if the resistance is zero between the sockets then they are probably connected together and are patching multiples, although you could see that from the inside. I think from the look of it that this is the most likely option.

If there is voltage at the sockets you can probably tell what it actually is by seeing what control or parameter alters the voltage i.e. if the voltage rises and falls along with the envelope then you've probably got an ADSR output, likewise with an LFO etc.

If the voltage is consistently very low or non existant on your meter they may be audio sockets, though god knows why. This is where an oscilloscope comes in handy for seeing what signal is actually present but you could always just plug it into something and see what comes out.

Are there main CV and gate inputs and outputs round the back? If not the sockets could be something to do with that.

Good luck