Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Boss RDD-20  (Read 24274 times)

djsynchro

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
Boss RDD-20
« on: March 31, 2006, 01:00:18 AM »

I have 2 Boss RDD-20 digital delays. They are 12 bit.

I was thinking of bending them of course. Would be great if I could turn them into some sort of clean signal in ->> Gliched signal out FX box...

Should I poke around on the delay memory (RAM) chips? Should I Google the chips first? They're really simple units, no LCD or anyrthing, just rotary knobs.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: Boss RDD-20
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 04:08:54 PM »

well, i tried bending my RDD-20 and suceeded in disabling the modulation section which is annoying. Didn't get anything good out of it either.
I could be mistaken but i've never got anything good out of delays where the delay time is swiitched in increments like on the RDD and plenty of other delays i've tried. I'd imagine its something to do with the fact that it has to address the RAM in different sections for each delay range increment.

If you have any luck with the RDD let me know.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

djsynchro

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 10:59:10 PM »

MMM, thanks for the info, will wait a bit on that one, but will probably attempt it, I have two so i can't go wrong, they're just sitting there gathering dust. Have a Cheetah drumachine but can't fingd the blinkin adapter!!!!

Bending is going really good, I'm hooked bent an SA-1 an SK-1, a Winnie the Pooh toy and am about to bend a S&S. Found a Hing Hon toy keyboard, it's arriving in the mail tomorrow! I heard a sample of the drums on electri-fire's website and almost fell off my chair.If I find a bend on the Boss will let you know of course. Keep up the good work.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006, 05:32:42 AM »

with digital delays as far as i can see all you have is a load of sample RAM which stores and then plays back a waveform. When you have something like an elderly Phonic delay i tried to bend which uses about 30 low value RAM chips to achieve its full delay time you have no idea of which chips are being used at any delay time setting and theres no way of applying any bend to more than one chip at a time unless you want to get really obsessive. For some reason delays with more than 3 or 4  switched time settings seems to just distort horribly when you try to bend the RAM chips in any way. I'd be glad to know of any digital delay like this that doesn't.

replace the said bulbl/LED with a variable resistor (20K or so I found works just fine)...

Then when you're finding bend points - you can be sure that the voltage between the two points is going to be quite reduced.

as a bonus - you may come across bends that DEPEND on resistance to work to the best effect...

Excellent for use on analogue circuitry, i got some cool sounds from the analogur drums on an old casio MT keyboard like that, but its unlikely you'd find much on a digital circuit using that technique i.e. 90% of the loop and glitch bends on speak and spell wouldn't do anything with any resistance in line as its the tranfer of digital data and triggers to the wrong places that produces the glitches. Any resistance and you just don't get a signal.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool