Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Fisher-Price bends?  (Read 9113 times)

wiredtoygeek

Fisher-Price bends?
« on: January 11, 2008, 03:28:31 PM »

Hey all,

I'm new here to both the forum & circuit bending. I just started pulling apart my kids Learn Through Music toy from Fisher Price (I also work for the company) & was wondering if you guys had any luck with Fisher Price stuff?

Rich

AMAC

Re: Fisher-Price bends?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 06:09:02 PM »

I have just finished bending a fisher price music toy, it has five piano keys in a semi circle a cymbal on a spring and a snare and tamborine that sit over a central post all plastic of course. (if you work for the company then you will probally know what im talking about !!!

I fitted four glitch switches each glitching a different sound on the chip and each voice changes if i have the toy on piano or drums !!
two body contacts controlling a distortion sound as well as one that has a random effect on the board (its quite close to the power input so i think the added resistance sends the pcb and components off into their own little world !)
as well as that  i added a 1m pot that controls the clock speed this works well when using the glitches as you can slow them down or speed them up.

i had problems finding mounting points though and no offence but no wonder the toys break so easy the wiring inside is poooooo.
SO i ran all the wires out of a 10 mm hole i drilled in the back too a box i made out of some materials i had at work covered them with some flexi hosing and used gromits to seal around the holes in the toy and on the box.
i will post some pictures and some sound bites up for you when i get the time.
in my limited knowledge of circuit bending and having bent three kids toys now they are all pretty simple "one chip wonders" and can take alot of messing with just connect every pin to every other one my man and see what happens you may be supprised !!!!

have a good one

wiredtoygeek

Re: Fisher-Price bends?
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 06:59:18 PM »

I have just finished bending a fisher price music toy, it has five piano keys in a semi circle a cymbal on a spring and a snare and tamborine that sit over a central post all plastic of course. (if you work for the company then you will probally know what im talking about !!!

I fitted four glitch switches each glitching a different sound on the chip and each voice changes if i have the toy on piano or drums !!
two body contacts controlling a distortion sound as well as one that has a random effect on the board (its quite close to the power input so i think the added resistance sends the pcb and components off into their own little world !)
as well as that  i added a 1m pot that controls the clock speed this works well when using the glitches as you can slow them down or speed them up.

i had problems finding mounting points though and no offence but no wonder the toys break so easy the wiring inside is poooooo.
SO i ran all the wires out of a 10 mm hole i drilled in the back too a box i made out of some materials i had at work covered them with some flexi hosing and used gromits to seal around the holes in the toy and on the box.
i will post some pictures and some sound bites up for you when i get the time.
in my limited knowledge of circuit bending and having bent three kids toys now they are all pretty simple "one chip wonders" and can take alot of messing with just connect every pin to every other one my man and see what happens you may be supprised !!!!

have a good one

Wow! Sounds great! I just started getting into it over the holidays, so I've been reading books & experimenting on my kids old toys. I've never soldered before in my life so it's all new to me! Post a pic if you can. You've piqued my curiousity! :)

Rich