Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Buying a Drum Machine  (Read 11400 times)

hairymoonstone

Buying a Drum Machine
« on: March 14, 2008, 03:54:55 PM »

Hey guys:

I'm new to circuit bending drum machines, it frightens me tbh. I'm worried i'm guna kill my self in the process. i've only ever dabbled in Casio Sk-1 manipulation and i am looking to take it to the next step. But what are the dangers of this with drum machines? should i stick purely to Drum machines that are Battery powered for the time being? Is there a max Amps i should be aware of.

Thanks chaps.

nochtanseenspecht

• Three fingered inbred banjo plucker
Re: Buying a Drum Machine
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 04:32:36 PM »

if it works with adapter or on batterys, you're save, normaly. there was a guy though, that killed himself with
a nine volt battery  :o
main thing to worry about with circuitbending, are  your ears, especially if you bent with a headphone..
i think i spoiled mine -at least a bit- that way. but if you do it without phones, your partner could get dangerous :o

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 04:51:31 PM »

i wouldn't worry about it if i were you, the only way you're going to get hurt with bending a drum machine running from a power supply is if there are some massive capacitors in there, which is highly unlikely, or your power supply is completely fucked in a dangerous way, which could happen but again is very unlikely. It pays to use decent quality power supplies anyway as things will be more stable and you have less chance of frying your machine.

Stick to something old (or vintage, as they say on ebay) or else you're far more likely to end up killing the machine. Anything 12 bit or around the Alesis HR16 era is good.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

kick52

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 05:14:56 PM »

You should be fine with drum machines, if you don't stick your fingers all over the place etc. You should use insulated probes and gloves if you are very careful.

hairymoonstone

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 10:52:03 AM »

You guys are a big help. Thankyou very much.  ;D

djsynchro

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 10:06:10 PM »

if you kill yourself don't come complaining about it here!  :)