Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Daphon Delay  (Read 18192 times)

traverse

Daphon Delay
« on: May 17, 2006, 01:33:23 AM »

Hello there.. I have 2 daphon delays... with one of them it would be nice to have an expression pedal to make the delay faster / slower.  It isnt in increments you see.. justa little turney pot.  Whats the best way to go about this? any ideas?

Also, I REEEEAAAALLLLY want to have the start record / stop record funtion of my Kaoss Pad 2 on a footswitch, as well as being able to switch between which of the 2 samples it uses..  but thats the sort of thing id probably have to send sto someone like you guys rather than attempt myself!

Anyways.. yes..delay expression.. any ideas?

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: Daphon Delay
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 04:48:18 PM »

Usually all there is inside an expression pedal is a potentionmeter connected to the pedal mechanism. I think the value of the pot and the polarity of the plug depends on who its made by, i know yamaha's are different polarity to rolands.
In theory all you'd have to do is to remove or bypass the time pot in the delay pedal and connect the expression pedal in its place. You might have to change to pot in the expression pedal to get a usable range  and getting the wiring the right way around might take some experimentation but that should work. If you were cunning you could wire up a jack socket on the delay pedal that automatically disconnects the delay pedal time pot and switches over to the expression pedal when the expression pedal is plugged in.

I don't know about the Kaoss pad but most buttons on things like that simply connect 2 pads on the circuitboard underneath whenever you press them. In theory you can operate any button with a non latching footswitch just by wiring the footswitch to each of the two pads

i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

traverse

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 03:08:36 PM »

i would like to be crafty and have a jack socket dealio as described above.. any pointers?

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 04:10:43 PM »

crafty you say? hmmm.............

I'm guessing that the delay time pot is mounted on the board with only two tags soldered in. Actually all three will be soldered in but the centre and one of the edges will probably connect to the same point. You want to get hold of a switching mono jack like this one http://www.rapidonline.com/productinfo.aspx?id=-1&tier1=Cables+%26+Connectors&tier2=Connectors+-+Audio%2fVideo&tier3=Jack&tier4=6.35mm+PCB+jack+sockets&moduleno=63501 and then disconnect the pot from the circuit somehow by either cutting the circuitboard traces or the tags.

Place the jack socket facing towards you, without a jack in the socket you'll see that the left hand tags are connected to the ones on the right side. When you plug a jack in the left hand tags are disconnected and the lever conatacts are now connected to the jack plug. You want to wire the right hand tags to where the delay time pot would normally be connected if you hadn't cut the circuitboard traces, and the left hand tags to the pot itself.
If that made some kind of sense the circuit should be connected as normal with no jack in the socket but the pot should be disconnected when the jack is inserted and the jack contacts take over.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

traverse

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 11:03:34 AM »

Awesome, i'll give it a go, and report back to say how bad i messed it up  ;D