Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: rotary switches  (Read 8400 times)

Chicken Poc

rotary switches
« on: January 31, 2009, 07:59:10 PM »

I'm wondering if anyone can help me out with rotary switches. I have a caseless casio sk-1, which i want to rehouse, and wire the keys to several rotary switches, but before i attempt this (since rotary switches are so expensive) I want to ask a few questions. what's the difference between ceramic rotary switches and non ceramic? what does all this pole and switch stuff mean? the sk-1 has 4 keys that are powered by 1 source each, and i think there are 8 of these, so would i need 8 switches that are 4 contact, 1 pole? i'm so confused on this rotary switch stuff. and if i want the keys to blend in between switching, do i get make-before-break?

Gordonjcp

• This person is dangerously insane.
    • http://www.nekosynth.co.uk
Re: rotary switches
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 06:53:04 PM »

what's the difference between ceramic rotary switches and non ceramic?
Ceramic ones have the switch wafers made of ceramic, non-ceramic have it made out of a kind of glass-reinforced resin.  You want the non-ceramic ones, they're much cheaper and you are presumably not dealing with high-voltage RF signals here.

what does all this pole and switch stuff mean?
"Pole" refers to the number of switches that are combined together, so a two-pole four-way switch would switch two circuits into four possible ways each.
If at first you don't succeed, stick it through a fuzzbox.

Chicken Poc

Re: rotary switches
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 12:43:22 AM »

thank you very much for your help!