Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: UK d.i.y scene festival?  (Read 16119 times)

SineHacker

• Kicks like the DADDY!
UK d.i.y scene festival?
« on: March 03, 2009, 10:37:15 PM »

Hey all,

first of all this is my first post on the forum so hello there. I've seen some very impressive work on here ;)

I've been wondering how many people posting on this forum are based in the U.K and more so if people are interesting in coming together to create a d.i.y scene festival - I'm thinking (loud) music, demo's, workshops, food and drink (what do circuitbenders eat? maybe a new thread is needed), and possibly stalls? (feel free to throw any ideas in, that's the idea behind this post)

I'm based in Newport, South Wales which is a fairly unpopular, grimey city - however I have access to some good resources up here, (including a large soundsystem and a host of good contacts) and if you don't know it, it isn't too far from Bristol - which may be a better location

I'm only throwing the idea out there, so no further detail right now - anyone interested or with anything to say on this should definitely reply!

p.s if i'm being ignorant of any local festivals in the area please tell me! I just think this may be a great way to really stir up this community. - you all know the 8-bit people story right?
yum, plastic sinewaves

PolyPhuckin

• Way to much time on his hands
Re: UK d.i.y scene festival?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 11:36:59 AM »

I would definitely be up for helping with that, i've always wondered if we had anything like that in the UK.

I'm based up in Liverpool so Bristol would be a fair trek for me. But if it all starts to come together, im sure i can find away to help set this idea up (im a Studio Engineer by trade so i'm sure i can help some how)

Just keep me informed when things start to roll forward  ;)

SineHacker

• Kicks like the DADDY!
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 12:13:42 PM »

What would people want to see happening? does anybody do any installation type work?
yum, plastic sinewaves

concretedog

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 06:58:25 PM »

It would be interesting to see workshops to try and get people bending stuff.  Workshops about
other diy synth, opensource software, arduino audio stuff etc could be cool. I am based in North Wales but with enough
notice I would be up for running an introduction to ciruit bending workshop.

Most festivals if they want installations and workshops tend to put out a call for submissions I guess this would be the way.

SineHacker

• Kicks like the DADDY!
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 08:27:09 PM »

It would be interesting to see workshops to try and get people bending stuff.  Workshops about
other diy synth, opensource software, arduino audio stuff etc could be cool. I am based in North Wales but with enough
notice I would be up for running an introduction to ciruit bending workshop.

Most festivals if they want installations and workshops tend to put out a call for submissions I guess this would be the way.

thats good to hear, I know some people are operating in Cardiff as well, but only by word of mouth,

i'm guessing if this is going to happen it will be during Summer - just out of interest were you running some workshops in Cardiff recently? I think somebody was doing something in Arnolfini recently also, 'Noisebugs' or something like that?
yum, plastic sinewaves

concretedog

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 09:36:39 PM »

not me...nice to here that thngs are happening down there..not so much happens in north wales workshop wise!

Gordonjcp

• This person is dangerously insane.
    • http://www.nekosynth.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 11:29:02 PM »

It's surprising how much is going on in Glasgow with electronics and circuit bending.  Unfortunately it's so far away from everyone else on here...
If at first you don't succeed, stick it through a fuzzbox.

SineHacker

• Kicks like the DADDY!
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 08:53:35 PM »

It's surprising how much is going on in Glasgow with electronics and circuit bending.  Unfortunately it's so far away from everyone else on here...

do you think people would be willing to travel?
yum, plastic sinewaves

concretedog

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 05:18:01 PM »

I guess it kind of depends on the festival...if there is lots going on and its enough to draw people they would travel. You would probably get a good contingent from bristol, cardiff all those type of areas...its down to so many things i guess, advertising, pricing, acts, workshops etc

george lazenbleep

• haha-fresh
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 12:48:36 AM »

i'm up for collaboration. based in exeter. have good contacts here and in europe. mix art/technology/music. installations, lectures, workshops and performance
try hookups with sonic art network,dortkbot, kinetica museum
:#

ZedAxis

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 10:44:01 AM »

Would there be bending & chip tune artists together?

A LOUD sound system , yeah sounds like a great idea. Don't think I can help much coz myself & friend#1 are not performing - just making horrible sounds at home.  I'd be able to travel to Bristol to come along though.

Bananas & fried chips