Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: One of those days.  (Read 25828 times)

PolyPhuckin

• Way to much time on his hands
One of those days.
« on: March 05, 2009, 04:09:27 PM »

You know those days you have, the ones where everything you do doesn't seem to work even if it did before?

I'm having one of those days  :(

the_zombiest

• Kicks like the DADDY!
    • The Zombiest's Youtube Channel
Re: One of those days.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 06:10:24 PM »

they're the worst days... but not as bad as those days where you just fry everything you open. I had one of them recently. Killed two toys in about 30 minutes. Gutting. I feel for ya matey.

PolyPhuckin

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 12:11:45 AM »

I think at times like that you just have to take a break.

Gleix

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 06:13:42 AM »

A few days ago I finished painting all the keys and entire case of a keyboard different colors and then when it was almost done drying I stumbled, the case fell and I accidentally stepped on the case and cracked it in half :/ I figure I'll do something else with the innards at some point. Such a frustrating feeling though!

I agree with polyphuckin.  When everything's screwing up it just tends to get more frustrating and harder to concentrate...take a break for a bit!

computer at sea

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 04:38:24 PM »

I have the great fortune of having a bar downstairs from my studio.  When I've got the stupid hands I go down and have a beer to regroup.

PolyPhuckin

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 04:59:14 PM »

I go down and have a beer to regroup.

That sounds like a plan. :)

deathbender

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 02:47:36 PM »

I go down and have a beer to regroup.

That sounds like a plan. :)

That's why i usually open a can of beer just before i start bending...  ;)

deathbender

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 05:36:46 PM »

That's why i usually open a can of beer just before i start bending...  ;)

And tonight was one of these nights when even the can of beer didn't help.

First i fried one of these "My Music Center"-like toy keyboards merely on FIRST TOUCH (turning the pitch resistor slowly to zero just killed it! Left me speechless for quite a while...)

Then i opened a Casio SA-21 just to find out that there are just 3 (absolutely boring) bends possible, a bitrate-reducer like bend, the well known feedback bend (which makes me yawn just by typing the words here) and the usual crystal crash (which doesn't produce anything other than a silent crash in 4 out of 5 tries!!!). My proposal for the "unbendable machines" list!

The last one was a Kids Drum Toy, an ugly orange/yellow/neon-green plastic monster... There are lots and lots of caps, resistors, transistors and other parts on the PCB but there was not even ONE useful bend! Except the pitch bend for the black blob, ok... but nothing else.

Maybe i should find another hobby.

Maybe i shouldn't have started circuit bending with my DD-11 and my RY30 because these machines where wonderful bending targets.. almost every connection on these big chips produced a cool noise sound and bending them was a lot of fun! After these two machines there were only crap devices like the Casio SA-10 (the same as the mostly useless SA-21 bends or M-200 or PSS-50, you name it...), the boss DR-202 (harsh noise but uncontrollable and much too unpredictable) and lots and lots of toys which didn't do anything except a boring pitch bend...

Maybe i should buy more beer though...

the_zombiest

• Kicks like the DADDY!
    • The Zombiest's Youtube Channel
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 09:08:57 PM »

[/quote]
Maybe i should find another hobby.
[/quote]

:o

Nah, Just because some toys suck doesn't mean you should give up. Plus, there's a few ways to spice up a shitty bend.
I know you ain't too keen on the SA-21 feedback, but you can add a couple of switchable caps with a pot in series for mixed distortions. An LFO for vibrato or triggering different keys/buttons/whatever.

I'm not saying that it isn't disappointing when your newly acquired toy doesn't glitch out or behave how you want it, but that's bending and a part of it is frying and crying, but when you do find a toy that shits all over your ears, you know it's all worth it.

LoFi-Ninja

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 08:58:28 PM »

Well it's not circuit bending, but I've been trying for a week to get an audio modulated flyback driver to work.... Damn thing is really starting to piss me off...

PolyPhuckin

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 12:14:50 AM »

Well it's not circuit bending, but I've been trying for a week to get an audio modulated flyback driver to work.... Damn thing is really starting to piss me off...

Say what? 

goldenbaby

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 03:31:45 AM »

my "those days" are just ones in which I want to grab most of belongings (sitting in boxes) and bring them to the thrift store -- not just CB stuff, most everything else! Clothes, albums, all that shit we buy and don't actually need. :c\  Today was one.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 04:14:55 PM »

I've just spent 6 hours with a laptop in pieces all over the floor trying to work out why the hell the lights came on but it wouldn't boot. Resoldered a few surface mount IC's (always fun, oh yes), tested and resoldered everything i could think of, reseated and cleaned everything out but it still wouldn't boot.

Eventually got sick of it and put it back together with the 30,000 odd screws it seems to require, only to discover that the problem was with the ON button all the time and i could have just saved myself 6 hours of rage!  >:(
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

PolyPhuckin

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 11:58:54 PM »

Crusty Paul, that does sound like a rage filled day.

I get those days where i just feel like deleting all of my social networking site accounts. i get really annoyed at them, most of all Facefook.

Gleix

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 03:06:07 AM »

On a somewhat lighter note that all of your stories (christ, especially yours crusty.  I've done that before... terrible feeling!), I broke a casio SA-2 I was going to bend...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RcM0WkiTmY

As you can see, completely my fault though :D Perhaps somebody'll get a laugh outta that... I did.  That sound of plastic slamming into the ground... I just didn't expect it to break since I've dropped SA's from that height before.  It'll turn on and play correctly for about 10 seconds then fade to glitching then die.  Shorting all the caps didn't help.
Pages: [1] 2