Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: dd machines. Are the sounds samples as in the 505 etc?  (Read 8499 times)

manufactured zero

dd machines. Are the sounds samples as in the 505 etc?
« on: July 26, 2009, 11:47:11 PM »

I've just been looking at a 505 on ebay with a zif socket added and the capacity to add custom roms. Much the same as the hr16. I'm just wondering if yamaha dd's use the same method in creating their sounds. This would be great if it were the case as the dd6's sound set is abysmal and most of the machines contain a fair number of crap sounds.

Still on the first steps of this kind of thing at the moment but i intend to get right into it if possible. I found some info on doing the 626 but sadly my knowledge of running the source code for the decoder etc isn't up to the job.

I'm also wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction to re-programming 505 roms. I have a programmer. But other than this i have little or no idea what i'm doing right now. I found the source code for a descrambler for the 505 code on a link from burnkit500. However i have do idea how to run this.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 11:56:07 PM by manufactured zero »

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: dd machines. Are the sounds samples as in the 505 etc?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 12:48:53 AM »

If i recall correctly i think gordonjcp on this forum has done this with a 505, or at least has information on how to do it. You might come up with something doing a search as i'm sure its been mentioned before.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

Gordonjcp

• http://www.nekosynth.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 09:12:12 AM »

I bought a 505 to do this with, but haven't actually done it yet ;-)

If it's anything like the 626 the samples are not stored entirely sequentially in the ROM, but skip about because some of the address lines are swapped.  I got it kind of working on my 626 but then blew up one of the ASICs.  It's also worth remembering that the 505 uses an unusual ROM with a slightly funny pin configuration.
If at first you don't succeed, stick it through a fuzzbox.

manufactured zero

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 06:26:22 PM »

Ok, cheers for this. I'll keep collecting info and with a bit of luck might get one up and running at some point. I FINALLY got a cheap laser printer that works properly today so intend to focus more on diy pcb and microprocessor work in the near future. Although it's still up there with rocket science for me the experience should take me along the right track. If i figure one out i'll see if i can put a step by step all in one place. Although i think it's gonna' take awhile yet.

Gordonjcp

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 08:06:09 PM »

Okay, to take it a little offtopic, if you're making custom PCBs and laserprinting the layout get *proper* Press'n'Peel.  It will save you a lot of time, hassle, aggravation and wasted materials.  I know it's more expensive but the more time you waste buggering about with printer paper and toner and getting it all right, the less you've got to enjoy your project ;-)

Also, the copper must be *absolutely* clean and grease-free.  We're talking nasty solvents and cotton gloves here.

manufactured zero

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 09:08:06 PM »

Cheers. I'll undoubtably screw up my first attempt but i'll keep this in mind. The easier and hassle free i can make it the better. Even if i do have to pay slightly more. I've built my ultra violet oven out of three uv bulbs and a flatbed scanner. Itching to find out if my work pays off soon :)

Being able to make sequencers, APC's and 555 triggers in a few minutes is a luxury i'd love to have right now.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 01:48:30 AM »

To take it even further off topic. Is there any kind of laser printer you'd recommend for use with press'n'peel Gordon? I'm told that HP ones seem to work best because of the kind of toner they use and someone has offered me one cheap, but i was wondering if you had any preference?
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

Gordonjcp

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 07:22:25 PM »

Can't go wrong with a Laserjet IV ;-)