Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Soldering to traces  (Read 5806 times)

Dylan

• Closer to the meat
Soldering to traces
« on: October 15, 2009, 03:21:19 PM »

Does anyone have any tips on soldering to traces? More specifically, traces from a circuit "button" like if I'm rehousing a toy and I need to use a push button to trigger it. I can do it, but somtimes they're so small it's hard to.
www.palmetronics.com
BitCoin accepted.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: Soldering to traces
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 05:03:28 PM »

Trace any contact back to where there are some decent soldering pads. If there aren't any because the tracks lead under a black blob or something you'll have to scratch off the green solder mask with a sharp knife, taking care not to cut the track, and solder directly to the track itself.

The best way to do that is in exactly the same way as you'd solder to anything else. Scratch off slightly more track mask than you need, apply the iron tip to the track and then apply the solder to the track right next to the iron, or into the corner made by the iron tip and the board. The solder should flow onto the track just like it would anything else but it does take a bit of practice to get it right. Its not eay on thin tracks but it can be done.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

Dylan

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 05:31:34 PM »

Thanks! Helps a lot.
www.palmetronics.com
BitCoin accepted.

computer at sea

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 02:25:41 AM »

Dylan, it's easier than you think.  I've been doing it to add foot controls to SP 202 samplers for some time now, and it's really not a big deal.  I find it helps to anchor the wire with a dab of hot glue about an inch down the line from where you'll be soldering.  Of course you need to do some pretty specific measuring there, but it makes it pretty easy.