Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New here! Modded my Korg DDD-1 and have question about sampling. (and a story)  (Read 11169 times)

noiseybeast

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation

For years I had a DDD-1 and finally sold it when the backlight whine got too annoying.  After playing around with other drum machines, soft synths and groove boxes I realized I loved that machine and needed to get it again. 

When I decided I needed one again and started looking around, I happened to see the Exfade website with some schematics for how to bend the DDD-1. I loved what I heard and immediately went to my local Daddy's Junky Music (music store chain here in the States) and picked up a DDD-1. (possibly even the same unit I had sold) 

I replaced the battery and found an easier way to mod the DDD-1 than I had seen elsewhere.  I limited myself to a 8x2 rca grid to keep things simple and to focus my efforts on finding the best bend points.   

I'm not that into glitch sounds anymore, so I focused in on getting bends that were musical and beautiful to my ears. 

I had such fun and luck with this first mod and had a bunch of offers for it:

Circuit Bent Korg DDD1

that I went I've got my hands on a bunch of DDD-1's and DDD-5's to tear up and mod.

Luckily most people aren't trading cards that much anymore so I've got a bunch of sound cards for the DDD series that respond beautifully to the bends.   I've also got a Korg DRM-1 on the way which is like the rack version of the DDD plus a few options.

Anyway. The lastest DDD-1 to arrive from Ebay had 4 cards and the sampling option.  Not bad for $90 shipped!

Now I'm wondering if I could bend a DDD-1 and still have the sample card in it.  I'm worried to try because the card is so rare. Anybody tried it yet?

Anyway, I'm really enjoying reading everyone's posts so far, thanks for reading mine.

noiseybeast

Wow.  A lot of these forums are dead these days.  What happened? 

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

noiseybeast

Actually that post doesn't reference anybody who's bent a machine with the sampling option installed. That post just questioned the existence of said option and had the existence of the option proven.

My question is, since the owners of the forums offer bending as an option for the sampling board, are there any limitations to be extra careful with?

That is to say, specific bends that might be perfect for just the ROM section but could cause the Nicad battery to explode and kill my dog.

noiseybeast

or this has been discussed ibefore here:

http://www.circuitbenders.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,353.0.html

Hey that was you that commented on its existence, and based on your lack of follow up to the post, I guess you've given up on modding them with the option installed?

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk

Never tried it. As i said in that other thread, the board in the one i was bending turned out to not work properly. Or i  just couldn't get it to work properly.

So the answer to your original question is, either nobody on here has tried it yet or they don't want to talk about it.

noiseybeast

Nobody anywhere it seems. When I get around to playing around, you folks will be among the first to see.  I'll be doing a video on my page about bending the DDD series based on my own experimentation and some initial hints from Exfade.

What did you end up doing with your defective board?   I ask because there's a yahoo forum with people that would probably love to buy it off of you.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk

I was modding it for a guy in sweden if i recall correctly and he wanted it back as his mate also had a DDD1 so he wanted to try it in there. Which is entirely reasonable i guess as the problem might well have been with the DDD1 itself but i just didn't have the time to track it down.

noiseybeast

Just got another surprise in the mail.   A DDD-1 I had ordered came and had a sampling board as an added unexpected bonus (this makes 2 this week!!).  On boot, the sampler played a noise like you describe, a system reset (yes + no on boot) reenabled the sampling option and got rid of the corrupted data, or whatever.

I'm not going to play around with the sampling enabled DDD's until I get through my stack of 1's and 5's that I had bought to mod.