Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: YAMAHA RX21 Internal Clock - Nintendo DS and TR606 Sync  (Read 10258 times)

steffieras

YAMAHA RX21 Internal Clock - Nintendo DS and TR606 Sync
« on: October 28, 2010, 05:39:17 PM »

This question doesn't really apply to bending - just syncing.

I have a Nintendo DS with a drum machine program on it, and I want to sync my TR606 with it. I got a DIN to MiDi adapter and a Yamaha rx21, but the internal clock on the rx21 doesn't seem to be right. Does anyone know how to reset the internal clock or what to fix/replace to get everything to sync up?

-steff

Gordonjcp

• This person is dangerously insane.
    • http://www.nekosynth.co.uk
Re: YAMAHA RX21 Internal Clock - Nintendo DS and TR606 Sync
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 06:34:52 PM »

That doesn't really say enough about how they are all wired up.  I don't see how a Nintendo DS can be synced to either an RX21 or a TR606.

When you say the clock in the RX21 doesn't seem to be right, what exactly is wrong?
If at first you don't succeed, stick it through a fuzzbox.

steffieras

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 12:01:49 AM »

You're right. I'm sorry I was unclear.

I'm not actually connecting the Nintendo and syncing it with the other two - the end goal is just for the TR606 (which has a turn dial tempo control with no clock) to play simultaneously with the Nintendo DS (which has it's own internal clock). I have the 606 hooked up to the RX21 with a DIN to MiDi adapter, hoping to control the 606 with the RX21.

The problem is that, (either with or without the 606 hooked up to it), the tempo on the RX21 lags behind my other clocks. If I start the DS and any of my other gear with internal clocks at the same time, they play simultaneously as long as they are set at the same tempo. When I play the RX21 simultaneously with anything, including the DS, it lags and eventually becomes WAY off beat.

Hopefully that makes more sense. Know how to fix it?

Gordonjcp

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 12:03:51 AM »

If the DIN-to-MIDI interface is working correctly, then the RX21 should stay properly in sync with the TR606 at least.

Is it possible that you haven't set the RX21 to run from external MIDI clock?

steffieras

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 02:27:24 PM »

Yeah, the RX21 is staying in sync with the 606. I can't set the RX21 to run from an external MIDI clock, because its running from it's internal clock - the 606 doesn't have a MIDI clock and the RX21 isn't hooked up to anything else.

I don't know  why the RX21 internal clock is so off from my other equipment. I'll set it all to 120, then push start on all of it, and everything stays synchronized except for the RX21. I'm thinking I'm going to have to get another machine that has a MIDI clock, and hook it up all up to that to sync it.

Gordonjcp

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 05:49:56 PM »

To be honest setting the tempos all the same and hitting start is never really going to work, which is why we have MIDI clock in the first place.  I thought you said you were using a DIN sync to MIDI converter?

steffieras

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 07:10:58 PM »

Yeah, I know it's not exact, but it's actually pretty close.

I'm using a DIN to MIDI and/or MIDI clocks for everything except for the Nintendo. I can't do much for syncing with the Nintendo except for push start at the same time, because it doesn't have any MIDI capabilities. And it's actually been matching up really well (the Nintendo's just for supporting sounds - not too prominent), but it doesn't match up with the RX21. That's why I'm trying to figure out how to get my RX21 internal clock at the same rate as all of my other MIDI clocks (because the Nintendo's internal clock matches all clocks except for the RX21).

Gordonjcp

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 09:28:24 AM »

Okay, but if the RX21 is slaved to MIDI clock then it should at least stay in sync with the TR606 - and therefore everything else.  If you turn the tempo up and down on the 606, does the RX21 follow it?

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 01:47:24 PM »

i have a feeling there may be some confusion between DIN to midi and Midi to DIN sync here.

If the RX21 is the master clock then surely its midi to DIN sync rather than the other way around?
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

steffieras

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 07:02:14 AM »

Yeah, you're right. I was saying it backwards. It's definitely MIDI to DIN. The RX21 is controlling the 606.

And to answer the previous question - no. When the RX21 is in control, changing the tempo on the 606 does nothing. The 606 is completely controlled by the RX21.