Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: what next  (Read 13032 times)

tony65

Re: what next
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 12:05:58 AM »

On the lead poisoning discussion up there. I do think the dangers of lead poisoning are very overstated

could that be because you havn't contracted a horrible ailment yet?  ask tin solder about the disease he picked up from fiddlin about on boards.  Lead builds up as deposits in your joints like your knees it shows up in x-rays! Your right though Paul there probably is worse stuff on a circuit board, but surely that means you should take even more care, no?  because all these crazy metals and chemicals together surely pose a greater risk and when mixed together probably give some unexpected cocktails.  I think people need to wisen up to what they are using, health and safety is a big void with circuit benders.  Think i need to chill now sorry for ranting!

Tony not sure if you bought any solder yet but if you stay in UK i have 2 rolls of lead free solder that i'm giving away (see the offload your shit section) for the price of a stamp i'll send you them so you can try them, i'll also throw in a length of leaded solder so you can compare them.  You should try things out and then at least you can see the good and bad points, i've used both and i use leaded solder now but unleaded solder was good enough for me for a while, then as the tech i was working on became smaller the unleaded became unworkable, leaded flows much better.  Gimmi a shout if you want it.

that would be fantastic , pm me with your details , thanks very much

tony

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 12:41:03 PM »

could that be because you havn't contracted a horrible ailment yet?  ask tin solder about the disease he picked up from fiddlin about on boards.  Lead builds up as deposits in your joints like your knees it shows up in x-rays!

well, to quote Leslie Neilson in Police Squad: 'You take a chance getting up in the morning, crossing the street, or sticking your face in a fan'  ;)

I'd like to make it clear that i'm really not wishing to disparage Tin Solder's illness in any manner and can only wish him the best, but i would imagine that somewhere on the internet there will be statistics suggesting that you're more likely to die in a plane crash or terrorist attack than suffer any ill effects from a lifetime soldering with leaded solder.

On the other hand its probably very little consolation to know that statistic if you actually have lead poisoning, so as i say, it probably pays to take basic precautions.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

electoyd

• Kicks like the DADDY!
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 07:33:55 PM »

;D yeah Leslie Nielson the great health and Safety Officer!  I try to wash my hands every time i touch solder and use my airbrushing mask, they are very basic precautions but enough and quite easy habits to get in to.  I dont wanna preach at people and i didn't think you were having a go at tin solder, your opinion about solder is pretty much the norm with circuit benders but it would be good to keep em healthy so they have the strength to come back on da forum!

so where were we before i railroaded this topic with H & S rubbish?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 07:46:31 PM by electoyd »
Pages: 1 [2]