Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: advice for a newbie wanted on building some synth modules  (Read 4212 times)

smojo

• I love making my own experimental instruments
    • smojomusic
advice for a newbie wanted on building some synth modules
« on: August 31, 2011, 09:27:55 AM »

I already posted something about wanting to build a LPF to use with bent toys and my nand drone box and since then been reading up some basic theory on synths so now I have some more ideas and more questions. My head is swimming with LFOs VCOs VCAs band pass, envelope and notch filters etc and it all seems like a huge mountain to climb to get to something wothwhile. I'd love to build something mega eventually but in the mean time, I'd like to do it in small bite sizes. I'd like to start with some fairly easy modules that I can use now with my toys to enhance their range but that would also fit easily together into something greater. I'm a little unsure of signal levels and their compatibilty with each module. This is how I see the architecture of a synth but I'd like someone knowledgable to either rip it to bits and put me straight or confrim my thoughts. Remember I'm a newbie.

You need some type of signal generator first which are your oscillators. You modify the waveforms with the various filters etc, some of which can resonate and provide further signal generation, you need to mix the various signals then you need to amplify it so you can hear it. Am I right so far? So if i want to use some of my existing equipment as the signal sources, like the nand oscillator box or a cheap toy keyboard just to get me going, all I need to do is build some stand alone fillters etc and a simple mixer to hook these together and I've got a mini synth? The point I'm really wanting clarification on is to do with signal levels. I've already taken an output from the speakers of bent toys and keyboards to 1/4 inch jacks to connect to my amplifier. Are the various filter modules in synths, working at these signal levels too, in other words, would any modules i build be compatible with what I already have and anything more professional I might want to work towards in future. Thanks for readin this monologue.
The rule is "there are no rules"

tbone

Re: advice for a newbie wanted on building some synth modules
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 08:27:57 PM »

To anyone looking into building some form of synth I would thoroughly recommend looking into Lunettas.
The circuits are generally simple, making them great for learning and even better for building your confidence in understanding and designing circuits. Plus there are lots of people online who share their schematics, meaning you can easily find lots of interesting circuits to build and experiment with. If you decide to opt for a modular style build you can keep adding to it and make it as compatible with your other hardware as you can.

In terms of the signal levels they generate the ones I have built previously have been pretty loud [much like a lot of circuit bent stuff], but I guess you can always lower or amplify your levels as you need them.

smojo

• I love making my own experimental instruments
    • smojomusic
Re: advice for a newbie wanted on building some synth modules
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 08:52:30 AM »

Thanks, just had a look at on on Youtube. Pretty cool. I've been working through Nic Collins book and using CMOS chips for my drone box, there's still lots to have a crack at yet so maybe I should see what I get out of those first.
The rule is "there are no rules"