Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Yamaha PSS-570  (Read 9630 times)

Boomchikawawa

Yamaha PSS-570
« on: April 11, 2012, 11:18:30 PM »

Hey guys, this is my first post ever on this website so try bear with me.

I've got a Yamaha PSS-570 in the mail, and I'm planning on bending it but I don't know where to start. I'm already planning to do the dataline cut mod (cutting 8 data lines between the big, awesome looking chip and the one next to it).  I also have an LTC1799 chip on the way from this very site  ;D

Does anybody have any useful advice or bend points for this keyboard? It's pretty much unheard of in most forums I've looked on. I don't want to fry it but I'm looking for some bends to try, subtle or wacky  ;) possibly changing chorus speeds, octave-downs, high pass/low pass filters, LFO's, distortions, anything like that!

I'm pretty kickass at soldering etc, I've bent a Yamaha DD-7 drum machine before (every pin of the big harcore chip onto a patchbay) which went pretty well. I'm not afraid to dive in at the reasonably deep end, I'm just scared of killing the keyboard.

Cheers in advance guys!

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: Yamaha PSS-570
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 01:44:22 AM »

The 570 is pretty much exactly the same as the 470 isn't it? I'm not sure what the differences might be but i would imagine its more or less the same thing with some features enabled or disabled. I'm guessing anything that works on the more common 470 should work on the 570.

For the data line cut mod, try and find the datasheet for whatever looks like the FM chip, or for a near equivalent. The pins you want will probably be labelled as D0, D1, D2 etc.

i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

Boomchikawawa

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 01:48:44 PM »

The 570 is rather different according to a few websites I've seen. A few additional opamps etc, and a different set of connections...

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 02:22:40 PM »

weirdly doing a search on google images for pss570 circuit board, came up with a link to this thread
http://www.circuitbenders.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=819.0
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

Boomchikawawa

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 02:50:49 PM »

I had a look at that one before, I'm quite liking it, but a little more detail would be pretty awesome. That is if I know where to get some more info. It's useful that it shows the inside, but I have no idea what all the wires go to, and I don't really want to break it by randomly shorting stuff. Anything on that board look familiar to you? or Anyone?

iwillbeacircuitbender

• Way to much time on his hands
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 11:33:37 PM »

The Yamaha PSS 570 has the same OPL2 chip that is used in the Sound Blaster card. Look here for a pinout:

http://www.dtech.lv/files_ym/ym3812.pdf